Official Review: Sons of Beauty Island by Narayan Jumnoodoo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Official Review: Sons of Beauty Island by Narayan Jumnoodoo

Post by HalcyonFlower »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sons of Beauty Island" by Narayan Jumnoodoo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Sons of Beauty Island” is a play written by Narayan Jumnoodoo that’s rich with political themes. It centres on two brothers from the Venchard family that initially have different perspectives of their homeland, Beauty Island, then later reconcile to create a communist party that strives to improve the country for the citizens’s sake. Jim is the patriotic brother whereas Allen wants to immigrate to France, where he desires to begin a new life. Eventually, Allen joins Jim’s party, The Fraternal Party, and both work hand in hand to develop their values and ideas of government restricting.

Despite the disclaimer of the play not resembling the political situation in Mauritius, it came across as a creative method for suggestions to improve the government and social life. This can be seen in the dialogue in various acts when a character reads aloud a newspaper/magazine article or when Jim is questioned about the organization of his potential government.

Along with being a creative criticism piece, the play alluded to others. Whilst reading over II.IV, the citizens closely resembled those from William Shakespeare’s “Julius Cesar” minus the riot; their lines were distinctly similar. This led me to believe Jim would face the same problem as Julius did considering the extreme left-wing side the play was leaning towards. I was pleasantly surprised though but the conclusion was less than satisfactory. This may have been due to the attempt of creative license but it was if the playwright was making an inside joke only he would understand.

Unfortunately, the initial promise of an intriguing plot disintegrates with the absence of development of the characters. The party’s name reflects the development of the characters as all the females are incredibly flat with the only purpose of being mates to the men in question. Of the characters in the Venchard family, Jim is the playwright’s mouthpiece and doesn’t undergo any development, Allen’s sudden passion for the country doesn’t make much sense and again, the citizens in Act II are nearly the same from Shakespeare’s Julius Cesear. Jim’s colleagues seem randomly placed for the sake of numbers and the love stories seem to serve a purpose but it is not cohesive enough to fulfill the purpose intended.

All in all, “Sons of Beauty Island” is not a play I would read again nor would it be something I’d invest time in watching. The only reason for that is that the theme of love reiterated too much for my liking and doesn’t have the subtle nature a play usually does. Although, it definitely did pique my interest of the politics and lifestyle of Mauritius, both of which I’ll be researching it at a later time. This is a play meant for those with an interest in or with a background of political science since it can be used as a case study. I completely understand what the playwright was attempting to do but I strongly feel the execution could have been much smoother.

I rate this play 2 out of 4 stars. With more attention and diversity placed into dialogue to create a 3-dimensional feel, the play would've stood out. It had a great premise which was lost in the pursuit of political idealism. The amount of information given could have been spread out in a scene instead of clumped into one speech block. I did enjoy the light social commentary utilized so for that reason, I give it a higher rating than a 1.

Sons of Beauty Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like HalcyonFlower's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

At least it made you interested in a new topic. That's always worth something. Nice review!
HalcyonFlower

Post by HalcyonFlower »

My goodness, apologies for the late reply! Notifications get filtered in my email - thank you for reading the review and yes, definitely. The world is so big, especially with policies so it's nice to get a snapshot through literature.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The author has an interesting name. Lol. Sounds more interesting than the play. Your review was very enjoyable HalcyonFlower.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
HalcyonFlower

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Interesting indeed, first part is Indian but I can't find the last name's origin. Definitely a factor in choosing his play to read, haha. I'm glad my review was likable, thanks for the comment!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I enjoyed reading your review!
HalcyonFlower