Official Review: Hands Across The Sea by Brian Cook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Hands Across The Sea by Brian Cook

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hands Across The Sea" by Brian Cook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brian Cook brings the faces behind the Office of the Sheriff (the Agency) to life in Hands Across The Sea. First, the author allows us to share and experience the joy with the deputies and command staffers we meet as they get promoted to higher positions. We are then taken back in time, where we meet an elderly man named Garrison Cottrell, the sheriff who single-handedly transformed the Agency which had once been regarded as "a laughing stock in the law enforcement community" to the best in the country. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease spells the end of Cottrell's illustrious career, and now the time has come for this iconic figure to step down and pass on his torch.

Brendan Callaghan, handpicked by Cottrell to be the 17th sheriff of Vasco, is but one character in a book filled with more than a dozen different storylines. The sheriff is concerned about fluctuating crime statistics that "dip and spike in all the wrong places". Powell, who just became a commander, carries knowledge of a female deputy "servicing" a fellow commander. Meanwhile, Cottrell takes a dab at spiritual healing, something he doesn't entirely believe in, to help with his disease. The list goes on and on; overall though, this novel is about strong family and friendship bonds in a work environment filled with conspiratorial colleagues pushing forward their own clever agendas.

This is a phenomenal novel which sketches the personalities of a wide cache of command staffers all the way from the sergeant to the Sheriff and his Three Wise Men. The realistic politics provided by this dialog-driven jewel of fiction is the first in a literary saga which promises to be nothing less than exceptional. Divided into fifteen parts, all of which centers around their own individual themes, this novel promises to captivate readers with all the elements necessary for a novel in the other fiction genre to be great.

I admire everything Cook has done with this book. I found it so easy to follow that I merely reread certain paragraphs because they deserved a second look. Humor is supplied in abundance. The dialog might make up most of this book, but without it, I don't think I would've enjoyed this novel as much. With a pleasing narrative voice inserted here and there, this book had me nodding, smiling, contemplating, and giggling like a chat slave all the way.

Hands Across The Sea is a long read; in other words, if big books are not your thing, try the shop across the street. This book will give readers a new look at the folk they see clad in blue. If you are in any way affiliated with law enforcement, you'll definitely love this book. Don't be surprised if you want everybody you meet to read it, either. My rating is 4 out of 4. That's a capital 4; that is, if such a thing is possible.

Hands Across The Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leon Durham's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I am not sure this book is my cup of tea, but I loved the review! I have a few friends who are police officers, so I will recommend it to them!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

As always, this is an excellent review! I was going to quote a line I liked, then kept coming across other great lines you wrote. So I just gave up.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! I am glad you enjoyed the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Hey Leon, I love your review! When you enjoy a book, you do a great job of showcasing it for potential readers. Nice job. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wow! Great review, and this seems like an amazing book!! Good job to the author!

Your review did a good job of conveying your passion for the material!!
markit1216
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markit1216.html

Post by markit1216 »

looks like an amazing book
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Wow guys! I'm like blushing here reading all your comments. Tanaya, bookowlie, zeldas lullaby, gali, Jesska6029, markit thank you x 100!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! :-)
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@bookowlie

This book is like Once In A Blue Year - long long long long long long long but very fun to read. I think my brain froze on more than a few occasions.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Glad to hear the book was a fun read. As for Once in a Blue Year, I wouldn't characterize it in the same way. Instead, it was slow-moving, but I don't know if I would go so far as to say "long long long long long long long long". Maybe just 3 longs - ha ha ha.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Haha. As for long reads, I don't think I want to read another one anytime soon. Had to take a long break from reading after I did this one. Brain overload warning brain overload warning...
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This is a wonderful review Leon! I'm not sure if this a book that I would pick up on my own, but after reading your review, I might want to give a try. It sounds like you really enjoyed it! I like long books sometimes, especially if they are entertaining. Thanks again!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@hsimone Thank you for the kind words, hsimone. I don't necessarily go out of my way for long novels, but so far I've never read a bad one.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Excellent review, Leon! The book seems quite interesting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”