Official Review: Behind Closed Doors 2 by A.L. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Official Review: Behind Closed Doors 2 by A.L. Smith

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I seriously hope she doesn't get her daughter back. That's awful.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Akangela1 - That's really nice of you to offer your book to Jesska, Thimble, and Fred. What a generous thing to do!

That's horrible about the human trafficking story from your hometown. That brings me to a question about the book. Did you select East St. Louis for the setting for any particular reason?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

This is a very good review! The story seems more than a little sordid and disturbing, though.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

It is disturbing, but handled with sensitivity. There is only one graphic scene and it is subtly done. I really liked the fact that the author didn't exploit the issue with salacious details and numerous graphic scenes.
Akangela1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akangela1 »

Couldn't have said it better @bookowlie. Sadly, this sort is not far fetched. It actually happens more than we know. Tried to handle with care :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Akangela1 wrote:Couldn't have said it better @bookowlie. Sadly, this sort is not far fetched. It actually happens more than we know. Tried to handle with care :)
Thanks. I agree that this type of human trafficking is more common than people realize. When I lived in Connecticut, there was a scandal involving Phillip Giordano, who was the Mayor of another town. He was pretty well known in the state because he had also run for Senator and lost. Anyway, he was arrested and convicted for having sex with a prostitute, who in turn turned over her 10-year-old niece and 8-year-old daughter for sex with him on a regular basis. Many of the acts took place in the Mayor's Office. It was all over the local news for months. Very disgusting.
Akangela1

Post by Akangela1 »

Wow. Nothing surprises me anymore. Kids are precious beings...innocent. The person who takes it away has to be the worst kind of evil.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Some of the stories you hear are truly sad, and stories like yours can highlight the plight of these kids. To do that tastefully is a feat of willpower I imagine, especially when salacious sells these days. It was good of Owlie to point that out, and thank you for participating Akangela!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

bookowlie wrote:
Akangela1 wrote:Couldn't have said it better @bookowlie. Sadly, this sort is not far fetched. It actually happens more than we know. Tried to handle with care :)
Thanks. I agree that this type of human trafficking is more common than people realize. When I lived in Connecticut, there was a scandal involving Phillip Giordano, who was the Mayor of another town. He was pretty well known in the state because he had also run for Senator and lost. Anyway, he was arrested and convicted for having sex with a prostitute, who in turn turned over her 10-year-old niece and 8-year-old daughter for sex with him on a regular basis. Many of the acts took place in the Mayor's Office. It was all over the local news for months. Very disgusting.
He was caught accidentally while the FBI or D.A. was tapping the phones in a big corruption/bribery case involving government contracts. Who knows how long he would have carried on otherwise?
Akangela1

Post by Akangela1 »

@escapeartis, Thank You and OLBC!!!:)
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Wow this book sounds great, I might need to check out the first book. Thanks for the review!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

literarycat wrote:Wow this book sounds great, I might need to check out the first book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks! By the way, this book can definitely be read as a standalone story. Based on the author's explanation, Book 1 has different main characters, a different setting, and Book Two's main character is a minor character. I think the overall theme is the same, but Book 2 is not a sequel.
Akangela1

Post by Akangela1 »

@literarycat....thanksssss. I think you'll be pleased. Not a pleasant story but definitely based in reality.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

bookowlie wrote:
literarycat wrote:Wow this book sounds great, I might need to check out the first book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks! By the way, this book can definitely be read as a standalone story. Based on the author's explanation, Book 1 has different main characters, a different setting, and Book Two's main character is a minor character. I think the overall theme is the same, but Book 2 is not a sequel.
Thanks for the clarification, Bookowlie!
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You're welcome. I think some people are hesitant to read a book that is the second book in a series. In this case, it doesn't matter.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”