Official Review: Another Day by Roseanne Dowell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kayla1080
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla1080.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Official Review: Another Day by Roseanne Dowell

Post by kayla1080 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Day" by Roseanne Dowell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Another Day is a romance/thriller that is a quick read (only 90 pages long). It begins with the main character, Meg, waking up with a massive hangover. As a bored and lonely housewife, she laments on a mistake she made the night before, which turns into the main theme of Another Day. Love, lust, jealousy, and stupidity all run rampant through the book. The first few pages are filled with Meg’s mental anxiety- she takes us through her internal conflict of guilt, shame, remorse, and secrecy for her mistake.

This event changed Meg’s perception and she took it upon herself to get a job, so that this bored and lonely housewife had something to do. I couldn’t understand the hype of Meg getting a job (I guess because she had never worked a day in her life, very unlike me), but then realized later that her getting that job was a major part of the story and evolution in her character. However, the mistake she made comes back to bite her in a big way, and then the secret’s out.

In the beginning Another Day was short and suspenseful but then kind of slacked off in the middle. After the major event happened, all of the sudden the story changed focus, diverting from the main plot line and leaving a lot of questions. After Meg went through a traumatic event, she didn’t seem to really be affected by it and continued to live her life normally...she got a dog, focused on her interior design work, and had a random pillow fight with her sisters (?) without any mourning or fear over what happened. It all seemed very improbable, with some tangents thrown into the mix.

It also wasn’t clear in the beginning when it changed points of view; the first switch was pretty harsh and threw me off. But it was easy to get used to the format, and the pace at the start holds the attention of the reader well. One of the main characters, Paul, reminded me of Mark Wahlberg in the movie Fear. Since this is a romance/thriller novel, I wish that the cover art would’ve depicted some hot guy that relates to the story, rather than a photo of a depressed-looking older woman. I also noticed some errors in syntactic structure, contradictory scenarios, small holes in the plot, and lack of details. But overall it was understandable and there was reference to the title on the very last line of the book.

I rate Another Day 2 out of 4 stars because it was quick to get through and just okay. I think I decided to pick this book to review because I detected some innocence in the author and I appreciate a woman who starts a writing career in her later years. I think author Roseanne Dowell will just get better with time, practice, and a little editing.

Another Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kayla1080's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”