Official Review: The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kayla1080
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla1080.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Official Review: The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

Post by kayla1080 »

The Island by Elin Hilderbrand is the perfect beach read. I originally found out about this author from the forum topic “Ever get addicted to a drink you read in a book?” in the online book club, and now I immediately have a hankering for some Sancerre wine.

The Island is about four women in a family who each go through some sort of traumatic relationship that leaves them wanting an escape. The family happens to have a summer cabin on the private island of Tuckermuck, off the coast of Nantucket, that has been in the family for generations. They used to go to Tuckermuck every summer, but then as time went on and their lives became more complex, they abandoned the cabin for many years.

The main characters in this book include: Birdie- the mother of Tate and Chess, who is recently divorced from their father, a workaholic named Grant; India- Birdie’s sister, married to a famous sculptor named Bill, but recently widowed and working with PAFA (Pennslyvania Academy of Fine Arts); Chess- Birdie’s daughter, a former editor of a food magazine and fiancee to Michael; Tate- Birdie’s other daughter and Chess’ sister, a tomboy who loves Bruce Springsteen and fixing computers; and Barrett- the Tuckermuck cabin caretaker.

The women decide through a series of tough circumstances to reunite on the island and work through their issues. Tuckermuck is a place with no cellphone reception and and a chockful of family memories, but throughout the book the women learned about dealing with heartbreak, hope, finding love and acceptance.

I found this book entertaining, encouraging, and identifiable. I think that The Island is a romantic fun beach read that helps any woman get through a bad breakup or is searching for love. I also enjoy Elin Hilderbrand free-flow form and easy dialogue, and how relatable the characters are. I rate The Island 3 out of 4 stars and look forward to reading more of her collection before the summer’s over.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”