Official Review: The Time Walkers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: The Time Walkers

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Time Walkers" by Kurt and Celeste Burnum.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Time Walkers tells the story of two families who discovered--and drank from--the fountain of youth at the turn of the twentieth century. Over one-hundred years later, this small band of immortals struggle to make a living in an era where proof of identification is everything, and vigilantly fight to protect the location of the fountain to keep others from enduring their fate.

When I downloaded this book for review, I had very high hopes. The story seemed promising, but unfortunately turned out to be a huge disappointment. I will discuss my issues with this book in the following paragraphs.

The biggest problem with the story is the writing itself. The book was extremely difficult to read because of the numerous run-on sentences, sentence fragments, and abruptly-ended paragraphs (sometimes occurring mid-sentence). Additionally, the authors did not format the dialogue properly, and most of the time I could not tell which character was speaking. There were also many instances of words that were misspelled in a manner that would not be caught by spell-check (such as spelling medieval as mid evil), as well as homonym mix-ups (such as the use of shoot when the authors clearly meant chute).

The plot itself was horribly confusing, with many poorly-executed twists that left me befuddled and backtracking to figure out if I'd missed something. The outcomes of the same events were frequently repeated throughout the novel (as though the reader needed constant reminding of what had transpired), and important details of specific events were often revealed out of sequence with the timeline of the story. To add icing to the proverbial cake, the authors frequently departed from the story altogether on rambling tangents that served no identifiable purpose.

The characters were flat and lifeless, and the authors provided no specifics about their physical appearances other than race or ethnicity, and even then this information was not usually given until long after a character had been introduced. I was disappointed by the lack of physical details, but more so by the over-emphasis on race in this novel. While it was important in some parts of the story (there are events that take place during segregation, for example), I also encountered examples of racial stereotypes that I found unsettling.

I did not enjoy reading this book and rate it 1 out of 4 stars. Please understand that I did not take any pleasure in writing this review. I realize that the authors worked hard on this novel, but the problems with it are too numerous for me to recommend to anyone. I fear that only a complete rewrite with the aid of a skilled editor can help this book.

The Time Walkers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I liked the part about adding icing to the proverbial cake. I did not find your review unkind. I read a sample on Amazon, and I completely agree--there's something essentially flawed with the writing. Oh well.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I think this is a great review. Detailed and honest, but not overly critical in any way. I too would jump at the idea to read a story like that unless it was executed poorly. It does the author no favors to overlook these things. Great job liverarmer ;) jk that's an ode to misspelling.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great review! I liked the part about adding icing to the proverbial cake. I did not find your review unkind. I read a sample on Amazon, and I completely agree--there's something essentially flawed with the writing. Oh well.
Thank you, Zeldas_lullaby for the feedback, and for reading the sample on Amazon. I felt a little bad for giving the book a low review, but it's good to know that someone agrees!

-- 03 Jul 2015, 20:19 --
Escapeartist wrote:I think this is a great review. Detailed and honest, but not overly critical in any way. I too would jump at the idea to read a story like that unless it was executed poorly. It does the author no favors to overlook these things. Great job liverarmer ;) jk that's an ode to misspelling.
Thank you very much!! Liverarmer, that's funny :lol:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome, Liver!! :lol:
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderfully written review. Great example of giving constructive feed back while still maintaining a sensitive tone. I enjoyed reading your review. The book seemed like it had a great concept, but poor execution.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bluemel4 wrote:Wonderfully written review. Great example of giving constructive feed back while still maintaining a sensitive tone. I enjoyed reading your review. The book seemed like it had a great concept, but poor execution.
Thank you very much! Your observation is spot-on: great concept, but horrible delivery.

-- 04 Jul 2015, 15:33 --
zeldas_lullaby wrote:You're welcome, Liver!! :lol:
Lol!!!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Thanks for the review. I was thinking of picking this book up, but after reading your review, maybe I will check my library for it first. Very detailed and honest. Bluemel is correct in stating you gave your honest opinion with sensitivity to the author. Well done, thanks.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

This is a well-written review! Giving a poor rating is always hard, but you executed it very nicely. Hopefully the constructive criticism will help the authors turn it into a gem, because the concept is definitely something I would consider reading.

On a slightly unrelated note, the cover is really eye-catching! So at least the book has that :D
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

literarycat wrote:Thanks for the review. I was thinking of picking this book up, but after reading your review, maybe I will check my library for it first. Very detailed and honest. Bluemel is correct in stating you gave your honest opinion with sensitivity to the author. Well done, thanks.
Thank you, literarycat! I think that checking this book out from a library would be wise. They are asking for quite a bit of money for hard copies on Amazon, and even the e-book rate is too high in my opinion!

-- 08 Jul 2015, 12:01 --
Lovely_Loreley wrote:This is a well-written review! Giving a poor rating is always hard, but you executed it very nicely. Hopefully the constructive criticism will help the authors turn it into a gem, because the concept is definitely something I would consider reading.

On a slightly unrelated note, the cover is really eye-catching! So at least the book has that :D
Thanks, Lovely_Loreley! I agree with you about the cover--it is very lovely!
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Thanks, Lovely_Loreley! I agree with you about the cover--it is very lovely!
I honestly got kind of excited to read your review just because the little cover image caught my eye! But then I got sad that the book wasn't up to par :(
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Lovely_Loreley wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:Thanks, Lovely_Loreley! I agree with you about the cover--it is very lovely!
I honestly got kind of excited to read your review just because the little cover image caught my eye! But then I got sad that the book wasn't up to par :(
I felt the same way. The cover looked amazing, and the description was promising, so I thought that I was in for a real treat! I guess this is why they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover :lol:
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review! I just read the description on Amazon, and I find the premise a bit hard to swallow. If you have plenty of money, you should have no problem getting any identification you want.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Kappy wrote:Excellent review! I just read the description on Amazon, and I find the premise a bit hard to swallow. If you have plenty of money, you should have no problem getting any identification you want.
You make a good point! For some reason this didn't cross my mind (or perhaps I was just distracted by all of the other problems with the book). Thanks for the feedback!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review. Hopefully, the author will learn from the constructive criticism.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”