Official Review: Boundaries by Divya Chawla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Boundaries by Divya Chawla

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boundaries" by Divya Chawla.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boundaries by Divya Chawla is a novella in the fiction genre. The novella is suitable for readers in the six to ten age group.

The story revolves around the families residing in the ‘Swaghat’ (it means ‘welcome’ in Hindi) residential apartment building, which is centrally located in the city of Chennai, India. Sarojini, Meenakshi and Arundhati are three young girls who live in this building with their families and go the same school. While they are best friends, their parents might be less so. There are other young kids in the apartment building who study in the same school with them. The story goes on to explain the different values held dear by the families living in this neighborhood.

This book was categorized in the Other Fiction category when it was up for review, however, in my opinion it is more suited to the Children's book category. The description of the book provided on the Amazon website is somewhat misleading since the book fell far short of my expectations. Throughout the short story, I was constantly reminded of the chapters (containing stories) in my third grade literature textbook, with plenty of typological errors. The author’s writing style indicates her good command over the language but multiple typological errors in a story as short as this will cause quite an annoyance to the reader.

Coming to the content, it is difficult to grasp the essence of the story or what the reader is trying to convey. On the face of it, the story lacks substance and seems to endlessly describe the different families living in the apartment complex. However, once I got over my initial irritation, I could fathom that the author was trying to convey the everyday peculiarities of a typical South Indian neighborhood. For example, the theme of linguistic pride is expressed in the story through the disinclination of the locals in Chennai to speak any other regional language apart from their own i.e. Tamil. The story looks at other societal attitudes like parents wanting to educate their children overseas, the distinction between the traditional and broad minded attitudes of different families and their varied ambitions in life.

The biggest drawback of this novella is that it lacks a solid story, which is pretty unfortunate looking at the substantial material the author had before her. The author could have spun a wonderful tale out of the cultural diversity or different mindsets that she portrays in her story, but the story just restricts itself to being a descriptive exercise. I rate it 1 out of 4 stars.

Boundaries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
divyachawla
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by divyachawla »

I do want to thank the reviewer for her candid review. There were some extremely useful pointers and suggestions that I could use for the future.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Nice review! Like the vocab! I think "disinclination" will be my favorite word for today. As for the book under review: perhaps it needed to be fleshed out more to get a good plot going. Maybe your rating would've been different if the book was novel length, as the main drawbacks of writing a novella confines the writer almost always to one protagonist.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks Leon.
Actually, you're right, the author told me later that she published the first few chapters of the book in the form of the novella in question. She is going to publish the complete novel at a later date and I hope its good.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

It does seem like the author has interesting material before her. I hope the book turns out better. Nice review, though.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks. :) Yeah, I hope too that the complete novel turns out better.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”