"The Legend of Queen Agatha" by Sam Cunningham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

"The Legend of Queen Agatha" by Sam Cunningham

Post by sahmoun2778 »

This book was definitely a different kind of read. The story is stated to be based on a medieval fairy tale about a young woman who becomes queen of the country of Xana and puts into place many reforms which increase the prosperity and happiness of her people. According to the legend, Queen Agatha either went about her day completely naked or dressed in a simple way instead of regally. She begins her reign by marrying Prince Olaf and instituting educational reform. When she and the Prince spend time in his country she tries to institute reform there also, but she is thwarted by the Prince’s brother and banished from that country. In her own country she forms a parliament and accepts input from any citizen of the country, including children. She spends most of her time touring her country and meeting and working with the common people. She is adored and loved by all until her death.

I found the story to be intriguing and the political concepts to be radical at times. The author’s stated intention with this book is to open a dialogue and I think he succeeds with that idea. There is definitely a lot to talk about in the way Queen Agatha rules her country. What I didn’t like so much was the writing style. I found it to read much like a listing of facts. There’s not a lot of descriptive narrative here. Of course the book is only about 100 pages. I do think the writing style suits the author’s objective but just isn’t one that I particularly enjoy. That being said, please don’t brush the book aside just because I didn’t care for the style.

I think people who like politics, strong women and radical ideas would really find a lot to interest them in this story. The story itself is well thought out and presented and Queen Agatha is a very likable heroine. I’m going to give this book 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Happy Reading!
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The book sounds interesting. Thanks for the review Sam.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”