Official Review: Lady trent by Gina R. Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Official Review: Lady trent by Gina R. Jones

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lady trent" by Gina R. Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lady Trent is an Other Fiction novel that is published by Sparrow Publishing. It was released in January 2015. Jones has only one other novel called Fairland that was released in 2010. Lady Trent is suitable for young readers and I give this book 4 out of 4.

Rachel has committed and spent all her life in a community called Westerly. This town of outcasts has operated solely under the laws of the "Sacred Oaths". After the plague killed her mother and father Rachel became her sibling's sole caretaker, and since then her people of westerly call her Rachel the Elder. In order to help the improvised people of Westerly Rachel requests money from the Lord of the Great City, but to grant her the money she must first consider his proposal. Upon granting the Lord's sincere request, Rachel becomes openly and personally acquainted with a lifestyle she didn’t know existed. She finds herself plunged into a world that is changing her irrevocably.

Lady Trent by Gina R. Jones is a spectacular read. There are so many reasons why I give this book a rating of 4 stars. The first thing I liked about this novel is its writing. I can't stress enough about how exceptional Jones's writing is. It flowed perfectly from start to finish. It’s a third person narrative and each character is vividly drawn to the point of excellence. I actually felt distinctive emotions for each and every one of those characters. This author is remarkably talented; she has a way of drawing in the reader and hooking them to the story.

To say this book has great character development is an understatement. Right from the beginning, the author perfectly elucidated Rachel's character. Before Rachel went to the Great City she behaved and dressed humbly (she was practically a nun), she had solid beliefs and values that she thought no lifestyle or people could ever change them. However, Rachel subtly changes; she starts to succumb to the flaws that exist in this lifestyle. I liked that all throughout the story Rachel struggles to keep her values and still tries to adapt to this new life. I admired her that in the end she runs from the fight trying to salvage what's left of her identity. All through the story Rachel felt beautifully relatable because we usually don’t change drastically or instantly when we are shoved into new situations or cultures. No, our values and perspectives change gradually through time and sometimes without us being aware of the change.

In the end Rachel realizes that she has failed to keep her vows in her fight against adapting to this world. She can't handle this new person she has become, and that is this novel's message. What will we lose of our identities in the name of adapting?

The story tackles many themes such as family, friendship, love, betrayal, change, but the most prominent one is adaptation. Although this novel is an Other Fiction it reads like a Historical Fiction. I find it rare to have a historical fiction novel that tackles the same real life problems we have in our lives.

I thought I knew where the story was going after the third chapter, but the author proved to be much more creative than I thought she was. Right after the fifth chapter I had absolutely no inkling of where the story was going next, and that made this book such an enjoyable read. I kept wondering how Rachel's story will end, but the author teased us with an abrupt ending and a notice of another book coming soon that will continue Rachel's story.

This book will definitely appeal to readers who are searching for a well- written historical fiction novel that is both highly entertaining and beautifully relatable. There are absolutely no flaws in this book. I can't think of a single advice I can give to the author that would make this book any better. All I can say is that I hope the second book gets released really soon because I'm very excited to continue Rachel's story.

Lady trent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like Hendmosaad89's review? Post a comment saying so!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review, and this sounds like a really interesting book!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Yes very very well written review. Very thoughtful
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Hendmosaad89

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

Thank you guys I appreciate it :)
authorginar-jones
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by authorginar-jones »

I am very pleased with this review. Thank you so much!
Hendmosaad89

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

@ authorginar-jones: I'm so glad you're satisfied with the review and thank you for your kind words. I hope I get to review more of your books.
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

This sounds like my kind of book. I love historical fiction and great characterization.
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”