Review: Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kay Etta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review: Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Post by Kay Etta »

This book was a bit of a surprise to me and I am not sure what genre it would fit in, thus my post finds it way here. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues is a long book about a lady who has long abnormal thumbs, which contribute to her lifestyle of hitchhiking. The book is written very oddly, with slight hints of stream of consciousness/drunken musings on behalf of the author. The end provides a very nice twist and reveals which character has been the narrator of the whole story. It is a very hard book to describe, and I would be cautious in recommending it because of its sexual undertones and odd themes that I find very hard to understand. Personally I enjoyed it and was glad that I finished it, but for the average person just wanted to sit down and read a good book, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins might not be the best option.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Thanks for this review, Kay Etta. Have you read any of Tom Robbins' other books? I love his work, but I agree, they're definitely an acquired taste! My favourite is Villa Incognito, it is super weird but I loved it.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”