Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
veryhungrybookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Post by veryhungrybookworm »

I saw the film before I read the book a few weeks ago, so this review will probably be a blend of movie/book reviewing and comparing while trying not to spoil any actual plot. I will be mentioning acting choices and aesthetic choices though. So if you don't want to know about that then feel free to stop reading!

First off I want to say that I thought both were brilliant apart and that the film is a great adaptation of the book with really clever acting choices. Particularly the decision to reuse the same actors; which intensified the feeling of inevitability and universality.

Separately I really enjoyed all the stories (Adam Ewing's 18th century sea log), Frobisher's letters, Luisa Ray's detective story, Timothy Cavendish's ordeal, Sonmi and Sloosha's crossing.

I think Sonmi's story was my favourite, despite not being a big fan of dystopian literature. It had more twists and detail as the film (as do all the stories) but I loved it in the film and the book probably even more.

My least favourite story was probably Sloosha's crossing. The language choices were readable but sometimes seemed unnecessary and I just didn't engage with it as much as others.

It doesn't matter which genre you love you'll find something you enjoy in Cloud Atlas and your love for one section will engage you elsewhere.

The style is easy to read and understand on various levels, sometimes it's a little obvious but that might be because I'm a literature student and I pick these things our as a matter of course when reading. Regardless the message is slightly twee but heart-warming as well as disturbing. Again, something for everyone to enjoy regardless of reading taste.

A MUST READ!!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplicated topic

Cloud Atlas
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”