Official Review: Double Identity by Jaye C Blakemore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Official Review: Double Identity by Jaye C Blakemore

Post by TammyO »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Double Identity is a coming of age novel written by Jaye C. Blakemore. It is a story about two lovers separated by secrets and tragedy. Identical twin girls were born as a result of this union. They will experience deceit, betrayal and lies. But in the process they will uncover a beautiful legacy that was left to them by their parents.

Gillian and Julianne are twins born to the same parents but lived completely different lives. They were separated at the very young age of three. Gillian grew up in America and was raised by her father, a wealthy art dealer. Gillian was raised with all of the luxuries a child could ever wish for. She is the sole heir to Paul Allenswerth. Upon his death she stands to inherit a vast fortune. Her father leaves her with a key to a box that will reveal a shocking past. What she does with her newfound knowledge and power will either destroy her or make her stronger.

Julianne was raised by her French mother in the vineyards of France. The twins possess the same striking beauty. But, in many ways the lives that they lived made them completely different individuals. The death of their parents reunited the twins, but the secrets of the past will prove to be even more heartbreaking than they could have ever imagined. Their lives will be changed forever.

Double Identity takes place in the 1970’s and spans from New York City to Paris, France. The story is told from two perspectives, the main characters, Julianne and Gillian. The characters in this novel are all very developed and had many dimensions. I loved that the characters were not one dimensional and predictable. The plot is one that grabs the reader from the very beginning. There were so many plot twists I never knew what to expect. I was intrigued from the beginning to the end. Also, the author uses subtitles with each chapter so the reader knows whose point of view they are experiencing. I enjoyed reading this book. It was heartbreaking and thrilling at the same time. I cried and laughed with these characters. There were moments when I actually felt like I was in New York City or in the vineyards of Paris, France. The author’s descriptive imagery was truly amazing. This is a book that I could read over and over again.

I did not enjoy being distracted from this amazing story with the typos and omitted words that were dispersed throughout the novel. Also, the book lagged a bit in the middle and the last few chapters felt a little rushed. It would have been more enjoyable if the last chapters consisted of more than one page. With a little editing, this book has the potential to be on the New York Times bestseller list.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have rated it 3.5 stars if I could have. I really wanted to give it the ultimate four stars because it was such a great book. I could not, however, because of the reasons mentioned above. In addition, the book was a bit far- reaching at times. I am not a big fan of spirits and exorcisms, but there are some readers who will find it intriguing. Nevertheless, it all came together in the end. I was not disappointed. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy romance as well as suspenseful novels.

Double Identity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like TammyO's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! It seems like there are a lot of layers to this story. I like the premise of twins who grew up in separate households living vastly different lifestyles.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks bookowlie. This novel is definitely a must read. The plot is really good and the story itself has many twists to it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Tammy, I recognize the story as being among the titles available to choose from a few weeks ago. It's nice to read a review of it, as I always wonder about the books I almost chose!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Bookowlie, when I read this title and the synopsis, I was very interested in reviewing this book as well. I was not disappointed, I must say. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to read and review it. This author is very talented. I would love to read more of her work. I believe she is currently working on other novels as well.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I love how the twins were Julianne and Gillian. I've always thought it would be cool to name your twins Jennifer and Virginia. You could call them Jenny and Ginny. ;-)

Wow, this author sounds really talented!
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Great review! It's always hard when there are distracting typos - they always take me out of a story. The story seems like a really interesting read!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review. I felt your excitment about the book come through in your review. I am going to add this to my to-read list. :)
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I thought this book sounded very interesting from what I read of it in your review. I think it would be interesting to read about something from two different perspectives. I like that the characters are well-developed with many dimensions and that the plot had many twists. Good characters and unpredictable plots make good reading. Its too bad about the bad editing, it sounds like a book I would like to add to my reading list despite its flaws. Good review!
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
bettybug35
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bettybug35 »

It's a shame you cannot give 1/2 points. This looks like an interesting book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”