Official Review: Come Hear the Whisper of Time

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: Come Hear the Whisper of Time

Post by Airam Velarde »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Come Hear the Whisper of Time" by Barbara J Duell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Come Hear the Whisper of Time is a compilation of short tales and poems written by Barbara J. Duell. The author herself describes the book as “a collection of fact, fiction, and fantasy.” However, what we are presented with is the invitation to learn the depths of her own soul. Reflected on its pages is the author’s journey to light and healing after the darkness that accompanied great loss. With beautifully worded tales of both her own life and others born of her imagination, we see an overall theme that is present in anyone’s journey through life: love.

All of the tales and poems that the author shares with us come back to that one important element that is love. We see this at the beginning of the book with a mother knowing the great and unbreakable bond she has with her newborn son. In stories such as “The Song of the Wren” and “Hello, I’m Home”, romantic and passionate love is illustrated in a very real way with all of its hardships and moments of happiness.

The author’s own Cherokee and Seneca roots play an important role throughout the novel. Stories about the First People and the Great Spirit may have been of her own creation, but are based on tales she has heard over time. What is fact, however, is what she shares about her family and the great love she has for her sons and her parents. This love is what has brought her on this journey and is shown on each page of this book.

What I greatly enjoyed about this collection of tales is the author’s powerful and descriptive writing style. Her words flow through you and paint a beautiful, vibrant picture with ease. She does this masterfully while embedding great emotion in each word. Even the shortest poem in all of its simplicity is able to move you. I feel that what makes this a great book is the author’s ability to bring out a range of emotions in the reader. Many of the stories are beautiful and give a peaceful and warm feeling. Yet others are hard to read through without shedding tears, as they illustrate the grief and sorrow that a person can encounter. Come Hear the Whisper of Time is a book that is able to touch you deeply in many ways, and for this reason has become memorable to me.

I would greatly recommend this book to anyone in search of tales that are true to life and its many facets. I am thankful the author has shared with us this part of her journey as it has resulted in beautiful works that are truly touching. I give Come Hear the Whisper of Time 4 out of 4 stars.

Come Hear the Whisper of Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like Airam Velarde's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! The stories sounds very heartfelt. The cover artwork is beautiful!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Very nice review, thank you!
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

Thank you for your comments! :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I liked this review! The author seems to promote positivity and gratitude. I like that. I myself can only claim 3.125% Native American heritage, but it sure is an awesome characteristic!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”