Official Review: Islands in the Grass by Arviss R. Stuart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Islands in the Grass by Arviss R. Stuart

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Islands in the Grass" by Arviss R. Stuart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Islands in the Grass is an exemplary novel about family by Arviss R. Stuart. War, as we all know, has its casualties. Steve Sharpe is an Army Ranger nicknamed "Cowboy" by his wife MaryAnn, a former Army Medic. Billy, a dear friend of Steve's, has been killed in action. His death brings with it the promise Steve made to take care of his daughter if anything should happen to him. His last assignment is burial detail, after which he will be officially discharged after nine years of active duty.

Being the sixth generation of Clark Ranch, it is up to MaryAnn to ensure the future of her inheritance. During the war, she finds the perfect solution in Steve. Over several years, we are taken through their lives as they raise an adopted girl along with three other children. Steve works himself to death to get the ranch going again. He doesn't mind putting his children to work as well. For a while, the future of the ranch is Steve's only concern; then the unthinkable happens. A terminal illness threatens to take the very foundation of the family away.

It is novels like these that keep reminding me why I love reading at all. I was absolutely taken aback by this captivating story with its many underlying messages and lessons about what it truly means to be family. To add to this beautiful novel, we are introduced to people with inherent abilities to see into the future as well. Steve is one of them. He knows things before they happen. The author succeeds in making this magical character trait only a small part of the book, taking absolutely nothing away from what this story is truly about.

I must say that I really didn't like the first half of the book at all. The novel starts off like a war story and the author floods his storyline with death after death. Getting my mind around all these deaths was exhausting. Sometimes I found it hard to keep track of what was happening. The dialog was the hardest thing about the book to follow. While the beginning served as necessary background about Steve and his life in the military, my initial thought was that most of it was just too confusing to comprehend. Scenes seemed to alternate back and forth between time, always leaving me to guess when and where exactly I was.

The second half of the book was an entirely different experience altogether, which is the main reason I'm going to give this book a high rating. The first half explains a lot, but somewhere in the middle of the book, the real journey finally begins. The writing suddenly becomes a good stretch better. This book has a lot of memorable scenes, jaw-dropping revelations, and unexpected developments that will keep readers entranced. I recommend this book to everyone, even if war stories are not their thing. This book is about family, not war. My rating is 4 out of 4.

Islands in the Grass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leon Durham's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

Thanks for the review. The second half of the book must have been astonishingly well-written for you to give the whole book a 4 out of 4 despite your struggle with the first half of the book.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
Cee-Jay Aurinko

* TheMusicalMuse

Thanks. I should have given this book a 3. Believe me, I wanted to. But somehow--as I pushed on reading--the book became extraordinary. I was suddenly hooked. The author really deserved that 4.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. I can relate to your explanation of loving the 2nd half of the book, while not liking the first half. It has happened to me a few times. When the opposite scenario occurs, it makes me dislike the book overall.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko

* bookowlie

Yeah. The first half almost killed it for me.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It's funny how a book can be great in the second half but bad in the first. I suppose it is better to have a good finish than a great beginning. Although many people will just stop reading a book if they don't like the beginning.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I've had books like that where I struggle to get through the first part of the book and am then blown away by the second half. I Don't like war stories, but I am interested in finding out what happens in this book that makes it so good!! Nice review!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Cee-Jay Aurinko

* Rachaelamb1

I'm one of those people. Luckily for me, I kept on reading; else I would have missed out on what ensued.

* Lisalovecraft

Thanks. You'll like it. I promise.
stuartars+3093
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by stuartars+3093 »

I understand that the beginning could be considered rough. War is rough, the language of war is rough. I understand that most people have no contact with anything doing with war. I felt I had strong characters but needed to explain where they came from.

My current project is for three short stories in one book. One a final journey with the Sharpe's of Clark Ranch. Yes people will die.
The second is a true feel good story. The third is a nasty look at war. Without any redemption.

Thankyou for the review. Arviss
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Thank you for this review and your honesty in stating that the first half of the book did not captivate you. I am a person who hates to give up on a book and tries my hardest to finish one once I start. I am glad that you finished and were able to give it 4 out of 4 stars! I look forward to reading this one.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Cee-Jay Aurinko

* stuartas*3093

I look forward to the conclusion of the Sharpe's tale. Thanks for the chance to read your book. I hope I haven't been too harsh or anything, but it was my honest overall opinion.

* Ealasaid

Me too. If I start reading something, I have to finish reading it. Just to clarify things: it's not that the first half tanked, it's just that I found it hard to follow. There were some good action scenes and some nail-biting moments.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

I was also very shocked that you have the book 4 out of 4 even with the difficult beginning. Something seriously spectacular must have happened in the second half, but the plot didn't appeal to me; so, I probably won't be reading this one.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Cee-Jay Aurinko

It was a split second decision. It was 3, 3, 3, and then (okay, that was surprising) 4. Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”