Review: "Only Time Will Tell" by Jeffrey Archer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Review: "Only Time Will Tell" by Jeffrey Archer

Post by LunaRowan »

Book Details:
Title: Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1)
Author: Jeffrey Archer
Published: anticipated September 2011 by St. Martin's Press
ISBN: 978-0-312-53955-9
Genre: Drama
Pages: 386
Rating: 5 of 5
Read in: 6 days

My Review:
Harry Clifton is the only child of a deceased dock worker and a waitress, though it doesn't take long for his intelligence and choral talent to shine through and he's whisked away to some of the best schools in England- those rarely attended by anyone in the lower class. He grows up blissfully ignorant of the scandals surrounding his entire existence, as hints that expose several deep-rooted lies begin to fall into his lap. The story takes place in World War II era England- a dramatic, violent backdrop for an equally tumultuous series of events. Harry must learn to accept the truths he discovers, among them are the circumstances of his father's death, his uncle's imprisonment, and his true parentage.

I was amazed at how quickly the book sucked me in. Archer's multi-generational points of view naturally develop the plot more and more with each character's side of the story. The reader gets to experience the conflict from not just the eyes of the primary protagonist, but from five other major characters of varying age, social class, and occupation and learns each character's deep, dark secrets firsthand.

Being the first book in The Clifton Chronicles, documenting Harry's life from 1919 to 1940, I immediately craved its sequel as I finished the last page, desperate to know what happens to Harry Clifton as another great event begins to unfold. Archer's chosen ending to this installment leaves the reader in awe of what could possibly happen next! A job very well done! Giving Only Time Will Tell five out of five stars still doesn't seem to do it justice.
crazyrussianmaria
Favorite Author: Margaret Mitchell
Currently Reading: Unearthly
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyrussianmaria.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2998

Post by crazyrussianmaria »

I also read this book and loved it!
Here's my review:

Woah! This book was nothing like I imagined it would be. It was better! I downloaded it for free off of Amazon and am so glad I did. In this case I really ventured out of my comfort zone and even read a genre I haven’t read before in my life and it was completely worth it. From beginning to end, this book captured my soul and wouldn’t let go until I was done. I’m certain it won’t be long before I continue and read the rest of the books from this beautifully written series.

I will begin by explaining why I didn’t give this book the full five stars before I go into detail as to why this book captured my heart. The only reason this book fell short in my eyes is because I would have liked to see a more in-depth look into the characters themselves. The only first person perspective we see is the first chapter of every character’s section of the book. It was a little confusing because the first chapter would be directly through the eyes of the character but after that, the rest of the chapters would jump suddenly to third person. It took me a little while to get used to it but after I did, it didn’t take away anything else from the story.

Now that we have that out of the way, let me move on to explain all the reasons I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down even late into the night. I actually have a four-month old right now and I still found myself unable to stop reading, even knowing I would regret it the following day and be extremely exhausted. I mean, what an epic saga about a less then traditional family. I absolutely loved following this extraordinary family, and most specifically Harry Clifton, as he navigated through the journey that is life. I actually immediately took a liking to him because even through his humble beginnings, he was still able to persevere without letting obstacles stop him. Of course, he wouldn’t have been able to do this without all the amazing human beings that guided him and propelled him forward through all the ups and downs in his life. With that being said, the character development in this work was phenomenal. So much so, that I was able to bond with all the characters, even the less likable ones, like Hugo Barrington. I was simply able to see the humanity in all of them, the reason they were the way that they were. I’m just glad there’s more books left for me to read in this series.

Further on, the story moved at the perfect pace and I found myself getting enough from each character, in each of their sections of the book. I especially loved how each character’s stories overlapped with the others and we often were able to fill in the gaps to the whole story just by reading further on. That was definitely a very creative technique that I thoroughly enjoyed. And let’s not forget how following the lives of all the different, main characters prevented me from becoming bored and kept me interested, bordering on almost obsessive at times.

The writing itself was superb. It wasn’t overly basic and yet it was still prompt and to the point. This book is definitely written in one of the more complex writing styles, at least in comparison to the latest books I’ve read. Jeffrey Archer definitely knows good writing and that’s clearly displayed in this book.

Adding to the writing style, the plot was very interesting and unlike anything I have ever encountered before. So much so, that I can see an epic movie coming out of this book, easily. This book had so many highs and lows and yet- it worked all together, beautifully and seamlessly. Jefferey Archer has woven an epic saga, that has something for everyone. Every part of this book kept me on the edge of my seat and my heart pounding, waiting to know what will happen next. And that’s saying a lot, considering this book’s genre is not something I have enjoyed reading and thought I might ever enjoy. Well, now my opinion has changed and I will read more works from this author, definitely.

I have to warn future readers, however, that this first book ends in a major cliffhanger and even though I was disappointed, I didn’t mind as much as I could have because I knew I would be reading the rest of the books. All in all, I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a saga about one family’s struggles and triumphs and also enjoys a historical aspect as a background in their reading material. This book is definitely not to be missed!
"You still think love can save us. It's more killing than hate. Hate is so clean, so simple, like being in the ring. With hate, you just keep hitting; you hit until they stop hitting back. With love, they never stop."--- Colleen McCullough

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”