Official Review: Seaside Haven by Sandra W. Burch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Official Review: Seaside Haven by Sandra W. Burch

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seaside Haven" by Sandra W. Burch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you're a woman looking for a short, feel-good read, put "Seaside Haven" by Sandra Burch on your to-read shelf! You'll quickly get swept away by the handsome but troubled hero, Phoenix Chamberlain. When a car accident leaves him permanently disabled, the former playboy and socialite returns to his roots by moving back to the resort he inherited from his grandfather. Immediately, he clashes with Sierra, the divorcee resort manager with whom he ends up sharing a living space. Tensions run high in such close quarters, and Sierra often finds herself standing her ground against the foul moods of her live-in invalid. As the story progresses, the two learn not only to live with each other but to grow from their personal adversities...and perhaps build a relationship as well.

While there is not a great deal of depth to this story--no all-encompassing moral, no hidden meaning--the story does extol the virtue of hard work in the face of trouble. As Phoenix struggles with his disability, Sierra calls him out on his pity party, exhorting him to make a change in his attitude. I appreciate the overriding theme that we can overcome difficult situations, even those that leave a permanent mark on us. My one concern, though, is that some of the comments Sierra makes to Phoenix seem to belittle his depression, as if it's just a sour mood that he can choose to release. I understand that within the scope of this book there isn't time or reason to delve into the ramifications of depression, but it's a sensitive subject that even romance authors need to treat with tact.

As far as romance writers are concerned, Sandra Burch stands out from the crowd due to her writing style. She has won awards for her poetry, and that talent shines in her prose as well. The very first paragraph draws you in with its figurative language. Ms. Burch expertly uses the background of a stormy day at sea to introduce the central conflict: the personality conflict between Phoenix and Sierra. The reader meets both characters before the first chapter is over, and the tension (both angry and sexual) between them is clear. You can't help but begin the next chapter, eager to see where their relationship will take them.

Sexuality tends to be a major league player in most romance novels and novellas, so when the author mentioned Phoenix's sexual desire for Sierra, I was concerned that I would run into erotic scenes or sexual innuendos. That, however, was not the case, and as the story progressed, I was able to accept Phoenix's mindset because the author had built him up as a recovering womanizer. Ms. Burch smoothly flipped between Phoenix's and Sierra's thought processes, too--another facet of her writing that impressed me--so the sexual thoughts didn't become overwhelming or cloying. In the end, there was no explicit sexual content, but there was enough suggestion through Phoenix's perspective that I wouldn't be comfortable recommending this book to my female junior high students.

Though I think this book is slightly too adult for young teenagers, I believe women of many ages--from new adult to mature adult--can find something to love about this book. Though it lacks depth in how it addresses the trials and psychological mindsets of the main characters, this cozy novella makes for a warm, fuzzy read. For that reason, I rate "Seaside Haven" 3 out of 4 stars, and I look forward to snuggling up to the next installment in the The Seaside Series.

Seaside Haven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like TheMusicalMuse's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
mssandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mssandi »

Thank you for reading Seaside Haven and for your thorough review of the book and the context within. It was very helpful and enlightening. I would also like to touch on your comment regarding depression, as I wasn't aware that my writing may come across as inconsiderate to someone who suffers depression. My father had depression and I do not take this lightly and again didn't realize it may come across to readers that I do. In writing the story, Seaside Haven, I was trying to express that a person may see the physical injuries & deformities of another person, but may not know the emotional and mental anguish a person may be enduring and/or battling. I do hope that you will recommend Seaside Haven, Book 1 in the Seaside Series, to others and watch for Book 2 in the series! ~ Sandra Widner Burch
TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

I'm so glad you took time to read my review, and I'm sure you weren't being intentionally inconsiderate. I am just very sensitive to the topic, as someone I love and spend a lot of time with is just recovering from a depressive episode. I've had a very up-close view of what someone with MDD goes through, and I'm sorry that your father had/has to deal with it as well. There were just a couple of times when Sierra made a comment about Phoenix essentially needing to pull himself up by the bootstraps, and someone who was truly suffering deep depression would not be able to respond positively to that kind of comment. I was glad to read in the book that Phoenix was not so far lost in his diagnosis that he wasn't able to respond to Sierra's encouragement.

I really did enjoy this book as a light, fun read, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Thanks for your comment!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

The book doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea but this is a great review!
TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

@ashley_claire Thank you! I'm not the type to pick up a romance novel that often any more, but I used to read them obsessively, so I know the genre. Thanks for your comment!
― Charles William Eliot
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The plot reminds me of Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. I agree with you that a disabled person is a sensitive topic to write about.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The plot reminds me of Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. I agree with you that a disabled person is a sensitive topic to write about.
I love Me Before You!

I think you did a great job with this review. I'm not sure if this novella is for me, but I'll definitely consider putting it on the "to read" shelf!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
TheMusicalMuse

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I just looked up "Me Before You" on Goodreads, and now it's on my to-read shelf. Thanks for inadvertently recommending it to me!

-- 05 May 2015, 20:25 --
― Charles William Eliot
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

TheMusicalMuse wrote:Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I just looked up "Me Before You" on Goodreads, and now it's on my to-read shelf. Thanks for inadvertently recommending it to me!

-- 05 May 2015, 20:25 --
Me Before You is a book that I would not have picked to read of my own choosing. It was my in-person book club's monthly selection last fall. It was a very interesting book, particularly from the perspective of the young caregiver.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Your review had me hooked from start to end. I'm not big on romance novels, but I like to keep an open mind when it comes to reading. I like the conflict in this: two people who don't get along who are forced to get along, and end up in love. Sounds fun.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”