Official Review: The Secret Price of History

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Official Review: The Secret Price of History

Post by csimmons032 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Price of History" by Gayle Ridinger and Paolo Pochettino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret Price of History is written by Gayle Ridinger and Paolo Pochettino. In Rome, during the 1850s, Goffredo, Sandor, and Eleonora are fighting for Italian unification. They find a medallion during a fight against French soldiers. The medallion is connected to a mysterious treasure that could help French Emperor Napoleon III make a name for himself in history. Goffredo, Sandor, and Eleonora are all unaware of the connections that medallion has and would much rather have it burned, but things end up getting in the way. The three of them continue to fight for their freedom, but eventually lose touch. After years of being separated, and believing each other to be dead, the are reunited. Throughout their lives, the mystery of the medallion still hangs over them.

In the twenty-first century, the mystery is finally resolved by Goffredo and Eleonora's great-great granddaughter Angie Cebrelli. In 2008 America, Angie Cebrelli wears her inherited medallion to a Gettysburg Civil War reenactment. There, Angie is shot in the arm with a bullet. Days later, a photo of her medallion is found in Rome next to the mutilated body of Father Kevin. Angie works together with an Italian police detective named Filippo Dardanoni to solve this murder and discover the treasure that is connected to this medallion. The medallion has reached many places and many people throughout history, but it took centuries to find out the truth behind it.

What I liked about this novel is that you were transported to a different place and time in each chapter. What was unique about each story is that the medallion is connected to so many events in history. Each story is different but the medallion connects all of these different characters, living in different times, together. This novel was mysterious and interesting at the same time. The authors did a good job at weaving different periods in history together along with a story from the twenty-first century as well. Not only do you have the mystery of the medallion, but you are also figuring out a murder mystery as well.

One thing that I didn't care for about this novel is that it was a little confusing. There were so many different characters that it was a little difficult to keep track of all of them. The novel was also a little bit lengthy, which is why I found myself getting a little bored about half way through. I think narrowing the book down to maybe about three-hundred pages would have made easier to get through without losing interest. There were also a few cuss words throughout the book. Other than these minor issues, it was a good book and I would recommend it to others. For the people who really enjoy reading about history, then this is the right book for you. You will be satisfied by getting to read about different times and places in history, and at the same time, you will have a mystery in the novel as well.

I give The Secret Price of History 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't think it deserved a lower score because it was a fascinating book and my issues with it were mostly personal preferences. I didn't give it 4 stars because, as I mentioned above, it was a little confusing sometimes because there were so many different characters and time periods to keep track of. Otherwise, it is a good book that I think others will find interesting as well.

The Secret Price of History
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | Hassle-Free Sample

Like csimmons032's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like an interesting and unique story. Although if 300 pages is halfway through the book then it is too long for me!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Very interesting review. Thank you for sharing!
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

Historical fiction, mystery, a little bit of crime/suspense, all in one book? Sounds like a winner to me! Thanks for your review!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you Rachaelamb1, Ealasaid, and TheMusicMuse for responding to my review. I am glad that you all enjoyed it. It definitely does have a little bit of everything. You certainly do have to have a lot of patience though, or the capacity to get through long books quickly. I used to be able to handle long books pretty well, but now the book has to be extremely good for me to not get bored lol. It was an interesting book though, just a little too long for me. I hope those of you who decide to try it though enjoy it. Thanks again :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. When there are too many characters, I also get confused remembering who's who. I read a book recently that took place in Afghanistan. There were so many characters and many of them had long names that started with the same letter. It was difficult to keep track of who was the daughter, aunt, mother-in-law, etc.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you bookowlie for responding to my review. I am glad that you enjoyed it :) Yes, so many different characters can be very confusing. I can keep track of maybe two or three main characters, but any more than that is just confusing and hard to keep track of. Thanks again :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”