Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin

Post by Gravy »

Everybody knows the story of Jekyll and Hyde.
But do you know the story of Mary Reilly?

Mary Reilly, doting servant to Dr. Henry Jekyll, kept a journal, in which she detailed the days, weeks, and months leading up to the end of Mr. Edward Hyde.

Told in the voice of a troubled young woman, through her journal, this story drew me in. Unlike many tales told through a 'journal' or 'letter' type telling, which I normally find loses the effect of immediacy I enjoy, Mary, herself, kept me interested.
I found Mary, as a character, to be quite naive and easily led, but likable nonetheless.
Though proud of her abilty to read and write she's happy to live a life of servitude, she loves what she does, and takes pleasure in serving her Master.

Jekyll feels an affection for Mary, her innocence seeming to draw him in, and they form a sort of friendship, much to the chagrin of Mr. Poole, the head servant.

Having just finished the classic story not long ago I can say that this stays true enough to please, while adding enough to make reading it well worth the time.

I love this book, and could see reading it again.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the recommendation. I have read "Jekyll and Hyde" and liked it and may read this as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I really enjoyed it. I loved noting the places she anchored the story with. I'd wanted to read it for years, and wasn't disappointed.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”