Official Review: Short Shorts by Alex Apostol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kayla1080
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla1080.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Official Review: Short Shorts by Alex Apostol

Post by kayla1080 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I really liked Short Shorts; my only complaint is that it was too short! Hence the name, huh? This 100-pg. book of shorts takes the reader through a friendship between two girls from when they met in the second grade through their late twenties. It bounces back and forth between different timeframes, but accurately portrayed lives of girls growing up.

The first short introduces the two main characters (Hailey and Triss), their behaviors and attitudes, and the significance of a certain sweatshirt. The second short takes us to when Hailey and Triss met and became friends in the second grade, while bringing in some secondary characters and shedding a little bit of light on their upbringing. In the third chapter/short, some background information about their families is brought forward, and the reader sees the rough relationship between Triss and her mom.

In the next three shorts, we learn how Hailey and Triss are developing into young ladies. Triss becomes a bit promiscuous and Hailey is always there to mend her broken heart. The reader sees how Triss is outgoing and crazy while Hailey is the strong, independent being that counter balances Triss. Crushes and relationships with boys develop in ways you wouldn’t expect. The girls go camping, play beer pong, have flings, and go to slumber parties at each other houses. They sneak out, seek revenge, and catch fireflies in the park.

Different points of view are brought into it, with one from Triss’ mom, one of the teachers, and Triss’ first crush. There are also some funny and close-to-the-heart coming-of-age stories. The last short ends with the girls on a road trip with a surprise, random ending.

The girls spontaneity, innocence and naivety is refreshing and author Alex Apostol did a great job of expressing the cutting-edge emotions girls feel growing up. She used a great analogy of a teeter-totter to explain Triss and Hailey’s friendship-I bet every girl needs a close friendship like this in her life.

I can’t wait until the next cluster of shorts is released in June to see how the characters and relationships continue to develop. There were a couple of spelling mistakes but overall Short Shorts was well-written and engaging. I rate Short Shorts 3 out of 4 stars because volume 1 is a short, fun beach read that can break up the monotony of serious books, and leaves you just enough to make you wanting more.

Short Shorts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kayla1080's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. It sounds like a cute, fun read. When I saw the title, I initially thought the story was going to be similar to Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, where friends pass around the same pair of pants.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kayla1080
In It Together VIP

Post by kayla1080 »

Yes, even though I never read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (it's on my list!), I think this is comparable to it. I know Alex Apostol has other books available to review right now too...so much to read and so little time!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

kayla1080 wrote:Yes, even though I never read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (it's on my list!), I think this is comparable to it. I know Alex Apostol has other books available to review right now too...so much to read and so little time!
We readers need a spare pair of eyes to read more books with!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
alexandrakay87
Currently Reading: Short Shorts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by alexandrakay87 »

Hello!

I'm the author of this book. (It's since been re-titled Girls Like Us before publishing) It's now available on Amazon and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind leaving the review on its Amazon page. I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so glad you enjoyed what little bit you got to read for this review! If you go to Amazon and type Girls Like Us by Alex Apostol into the search box it will come right up. Thank you so much if you get the chance. (And I don't expect a whole other review. Just a copy and paste job would do! Thanks so much)

Alex Apostol
kayla1080
In It Together VIP

Post by kayla1080 »

Hi Alex,
Oh good, I'm glad you like the review! I think it's against the rules of the Online Book Club to copy/paste reviews to other sites but generally on Goodreads or my website I copy/paste a short lead-in with something like "view the whole review here" with a link back into this site (since the Online Book Club technically owns the review). Is that what you'd like me to do on Amazon?

Maybe some other members can verify?

Thanks!
Kayla

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”