Normalized, by David Bussell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Official Review: Normalized by David Bussell

Post by teacher_jane1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Normalized" by David Bussell.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Bussell’s new book, “Normalized,” is a spin on the world’s obsession with superhero stories: a superhero satire. It purports to be the journal of the very first superhero, Captain Might. Captain Might has struggled to transition from being the only super-human around to his position within a vast superhero bureaucracy called C.H.A.M.P. His arch-enemy, Professor D’eath, orchestrates the theft of massive amounts of nuclear weapons, killing plenty of civilians along the way. As Captain Might faces the challenges of modern superhero life, battling D’eath, bureaucracy, and his aggressively Armenian mother, he reminisces about the way things used to be, and wonders about the future for old-fashioned superheroes like himself.

The book is designed to be the first in a series, so most plot points remain unresolved. The final climactic battle between Might and D’eath leaves many questions unanswered, and the book ends rather suddenly, leaving the reader (and Captain Might) hanging. As the first in a series, “Normalized” covers the necessary plot ground: introduces characters, describes the world they inhabit, and sets up an atmosphere of ongoing conflict. What it doesn’t do as thoroughly is demonstrate why readers should care. The book relies on stock premises from superhero lore—a mad villain, an immature hero, internal conflict among the good guys—to propel the plot, which makes sense because “Normalized” is a satire. But with profound satire, the humor is woven into the plot points, becoming a necessary element of the story. Here, the humor is slapped carelessly onto an already shaky plotline. Most of it comes from Captain Might’s arrogance, and his childish obsession with his own sexual potency. It’s not satirical; it’s juvenile.

The shaky plot didn’t have to ruin the book. If Captain Might was an engaging narrator, the plot challenges could have been overcome. But I couldn’t relate to Captain Might as either a normal bureaucratic guy in an over-the-top superhero situation, or as a normal superhero trapped in a bureaucratic nightmare. The conflicts that lead to character development and actually humorous situations weren’t present. He wasn’t a clumsy meathead trying to write down his thoughts, or a bookworm being forced into physical battle. He was just annoying.

For all that, the book might have some appeal for a certain gross-out humor audience, but on top of the narrative problems, it’s badly edited. There are multiple typos and elementary grammatical mistakes that distracted me while reading.

Overall, I rated this book 1 out of 4. It has a humdrum plot, crass humor purporting to be satire, and an obnoxious narrator, with noticeable typos and errors. The idea isn’t awful, but the execution leaves much to be desired. At the end of the day, the world’s a better place without this superhero.

Normalized
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like teacher_jane1's review? Post a comment saying so!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I loved your review! I have to agree that sexual potency is no laughing matter.
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html

Post by teacher_jane1 »

It's just a little too much like middle school, and I'm happy to be done with middle school!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”