Official Review: Short Shorts by Alex Apostol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Official Review: Short Shorts by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Short Shorts, by Alex Apostol, is a collection of humorous short stories about the friendship of two young women in their 20’s who decide to move across the country from Norfolk, Virginia to San Diego, California. It’s available for Kindle. (Note: The copy I received for review contains only four stories, although the Kindle edition promises six.)

Each chapter is its own story about a specific event in the lives of Triss and Hailey. They aren’t necessarily in chronological order, as the first story takes place in the summer of 2015, while the second takes place in 1994, when Triss and Hailey first meet in second grade. In the following chapter we read about an event from 1997, and the final chapter is “present day.” Whether this type of format will be retained remains to be seen.

From the start, the two young women are portrayed with quite distinct personalities. While Triss is rather wild and carefree, Hailey is a bit more conservative and serious. Triss is impulsive and impetuous, and more than once Hailey comes to her rescue to extricate her from a sticky situation. This includes helping her to get her favorite sweatshirt back from an ex-boyfriend and rescuing her from mean boys with snowballs on the schoolyard playground. Whenever Triss has a hairbrained plan, Hailey usually goes along with it reluctantly. She either ends up having fun or has to step in and save Triss from herself.

It’s fun to read the dynamic between the two women. They seem to be quite different in personality, but it’s easy to see why they are best friends. Their characters are well defined and well written, and I liked them both. One particular passage (from the chapter that takes place when they are in second grade) nicely defines their relationship:

Hailey sat on one side of the teeter-totter while Triss took the other. They bounced up and down, up and down. As one shot up, the other rushed back to the ground, just as they would do throughout their lives and friendship. But without the other, they both knew they would only be sitting on the snow covered ground staring at an empty seat high up in the air.

Alex Apostol is a good writer, and I found myself chuckling through several passages. One chapter tells of their 5th grade experience of looking at sex education books for the first time. While it is difficult to believe in this day and age that 5th grade girls know nothing about sex or even what a penis looks like, the story is funny and the reactions of the girls to these “discoveries” will make you laugh. They make breasts for themselves out of play-doh, put them in their training bras, and go for a walk in the park. In sex ed class, the boys and girls are separated, and the teacher “explained [to the girls] what the penis was and what it was going to do to all of them someday.”

I found just a few typographical errors, including a couple of misspelled words and grammatical errors. There are some spacing issues with some of the words in the book. Often, two words are combined to improperly form one word, such as “atleast” (this occurs multiple times), and “infront,” “eachother,” “incase,” “ontop,” and “infact” show up more than once as well. There are a couple of instances of a present tense verb being used in a past tense narrative. But these errors do not inhibit the story; overall, the book is quite well written.

I think this book would appeal more to a female audience, but it is light fiction and would be entertaining to anyone looking for something light and funny to read. The common theme is Triss and Hailey’s adventures, but each chapter is its own story, so can be read, put down, and picked up a few days later without worrying too much about losing continuity with the story. There isn’t anything profound or laugh-out-loud funny, but it’s engaging and entertaining nonetheless. I rate Short Shorts 3 out of 4 stars.

Short Shorts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Stevefromtheblock's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds like a fun, light read. Your description of the sex ed teacher's explanation about the penis is a hoot!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stevefromtheblock

Thank you both for your comments! This is my first review! I appreciate it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Stevefromtheblock wrote:Thank you both for your comments! This is my first review! I appreciate it.
Congrats on your first review. Nice job!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Stevefromtheblock

Thank you! :)
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Great job! This review has great detail. It seems like a really fun read!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

Congrats on your first review!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Stevefromtheblock

Thank you for your comments!
alexandrakay87
Currently Reading: Short Shorts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by alexandrakay87 »

Hello!

I'm the author of this book, though it's been re-titled Girls Like Us. Your review was great. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's now available for purchase on amazon and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind leaving a review on its Amazon page. It would mean so much to me! Just type Girls Like Us by Alex Apostol into the search box and it should come right up. Thank you so much if you have the chance!

Alex Apostol
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Nice review! The book sounds quite fun and enjoyable.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

This sounds like a fun and hilarious book. And congrats on your first review! It's very descriptive and captures the essence of the book really well.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Great review, Stevefromtheblock. You make this book sound very entertaining and fun to read. I like the teeter-totter example and think the author has done something brilliant by using something almost everybody can relate to.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Stevefromtheblock

Thank you everyone!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”