Official Review: Death Grip by Tracy Sherwood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Death Grip by Tracy Sherwood

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Grip" by Tracy Sherwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death Grip is a gripping psychological thriller and the debut novel by prize-winning screenwriter Tracy Sherwood. A tragic event makes it difficult for war heroine Kat Hartley to readjust to a normal life as a loving wife and caring mother. Her oldest daughter Alison hates her. Her husband Ben secretly nurtures hopes for a regular wife. But awful nightmares, blazoned hallucinations, and a terrible secret may disrupt her only course towards psychological freedom and normalcy.

When reliving an attack by an enemy insurgent causes her to put a knife to her own daughter's throat, her husband sees no other alternative but to take the kids and leave. That same night, she almost dies; her husband saves her when he returns to the house. Following the advice of a hospital psychiatrist, Ben attempts to help Kat help herself. Either she agrees to seek help, or she must risk losing her family forever. She was there when her sister's husband Sammy died in a Humvee engulfed by flames. It is he who holds her in a death grip; him and the dreaded secret that they had been lovers.

The author wrote this novel while keeping in mind all military women upon their return home and their bouts with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. She does a wonderful job at portraying an army mom who tries her best to do things normal moms do; watching their children's games, taking them to school, shopping, etc. I loved how the author made simple things in life yank Kat right out of her reality and pull her back into the war. Something as simple as a tire bursting can make her duck down and lose all sense of where she actually is.

Each character plays a necessary role in the overall storyline. Even a Vietnam veteran Kat only meets for a few seconds, assuring her that she will get used to everyday life. The death of her sister's husband seems to have a different, but equally life-altering effect on all the key players. Her sister Mia blames Kat for her husband's death. Mia's son Gunnar completely stops speaking. Though I think the novel could've been fleshed out a little more, the story reads beautifully just the way it is. The short and tightness of this novel works like a charm.

Readers with military backgrounds will connect with this novel pretty well. But the author intended this novel for anyone who has ever suffered a trauma they're struggling to overcome. Considering this, I believe anyone can take something away from it. It kept me hooked from the start with unpredictable characters and unforseen developments that will leave readers stunned. My rating is 4 out of 4.

Death Grip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Leon Durham's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great example of a well-written and interesting review. Nice job! The book sounds fascinating. So many people focus on men experiencing PTSD that it's nice to see an author writing about a women's experience. Military women are always busy with carpooling, their children's activities, etc. that it's easy to blend in after coming home from the war.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Thank you for the great review! I usually do not like books that deal with the war but this sounds like it has an interesting and realistic take on coming home from war. It's going on my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Lady1934
Favorite Author: Gene Stratton Porter
Favorite Book: Girl of the Limberlost
Currently Reading: The Dimension Travel Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by Lady1934 »

I admit that I usually read the reviews for those books that are rated less than four stars as I seek the guidance to improve my own writing skills. I found this a very interesting review and I plan to add this book to my list of books I want to read. Thank you for such a thorough review
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Thanks, bluemel4.

I wish this book could go on a lot of people's to-read lists. It's outstanding! Movie-outstanding!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”