Official Review: The Boys of Summers Run by James L. Cotton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Official Review: The Boys of Summers Run by James L. Cot

Post by ashley_claire »

Great review! I don't think I've ever read a book where Little League was involved. It sounds like a nice change of pace.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks! The book is not heavy on the Little League stuff.....just a part of the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
alongcountryroads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alongcountryroads »

Hello, Bookowlie:

I'm assured by Scott Hughes authors are permitted to thank their reviewers, publicly. Therefore, thank you for your insightful and helpful review. Yes, how embarrassing to confront the error, 1963, instead of 1993. This, after three different readers scanned the book minutely in at least two different walk-throughs. Plus, I read the ms backwards as is my practice and missed the darn thing. :doh:

One customer said perhaps the printer was standing on its head, substituting a "6" for a "9". Made me laugh. :lol2:

Well, Bookowlie, I'm more impressed than ever that we who write "feel good" novels are a shrinking minority producing works classified as "other" and thereby relegated to onlookers in the race. So, I'm pleased you found the book and its meanderings warm and positive. While Claude is narrator and center-stage searching for the grounding his father once provided, the book is about the boys of Summers Run and not Claude alone. Crafting the detours to provide Claude with tools and perspective, insights and expressions he later repeats or builds on was key. These become fundamental to the plot in a character-driven work. This is classic Vogler (The Writer's Journey) construction.

The Boys of Summers Run is the Book of the Day selection for Easter Sunday. Perhaps this exposure will prove a resurrection of sorts. If so, your welcome review made a significant contribution. Every best wish and fair skies in your book life and journeys. James Cotton, The Boys of Summers Run.

-- 16 Mar 2016, 12:22 --

I forgot to mention I like and intend to use your Irish Blessing, wherever I go. Tomorrow is our special day!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

That's great news that your book will be an upcoming Book of the Day selection! I am happy the book will be getting additional exposure. Although I read this book last year, I remember it well, particularly the excellent writing.

Erin Go Bragh. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”