Official Review: A sum of Flaws by Phil Penne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Official Review: A sum of Flaws by Phil Penne

Post by Janiac02 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A sum of Flaws" by Phil Penne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Sum of Flaws by Phil Penne is a novel about two extraordinary strangers who form a bond in a very unusual circumstance. Earl Miller is a retired veteran with a severe heart condition who lives in a small home on a modest income. He practices pinhole photography as a full-time hobby, capturing the people and places in which he finds so much beauty. Lillian Parrish is a young, struggling classical musician who, unbeknownst to her, has become Earl’s muse. Sensing the dejection and hopelessness that has overwhelmed Lillian, Earl ignores propriety and follows her to intervene on her behalf. What follows is an unlikely friendship that helps Lillian and Earl transcend their real and perceived flaws in order to feel complete within themselves and each other.

When I am reading a book in order to review it, I like to read a little about the author’s background as well. I am always pleased when the author infuses a novel with elements that resemble their own interests and hobbies. In this case, Earl Miller’s passion for photography stems from Mr. Penne’s own experience as a photographer. He has a two-volume collection of digital photography entitled Hearts are Where You Find Them, but he also has worked with (and has an affinity for) pinhole cameras of his own making. His experience creating his own art gives the reader a deeper glimpse into the mind of a photographic artist than technical research alone could conjure.

Mr. Penne is spot on about the amount of dedication it takes to become virtuosic in the world of classical music. Not only about the amount of practice to further one’s craft, but also the traveling expenses, hassle, and heartbreak of auditions. It is easy to sympathize with Lillian when her world falls apart. When a person invests everything they have into their art, it isn’t hard to see how devastating repeated rejection can be.

The characters’ complexities are revealed one layer at a time throughout the book, and each reveal is vitally interesting. This makes what would potentially be a slow-moving story into a story you really won’t want to put down.

I have three favorite moments in the book, but in the interest of avoiding spoilers, I’ll just share one with you. There is a point where Lillian is the victim of some verbal bullying regarding her appearance. It broke my heart when it seemed all of the progress Lillian had made toward self-acceptance and confidence seemed to shatter in that one thoughtless instance of cruelty. When she had retreated into herself, and was giving in to feelings of worthlessness, soft-spoken Earl championed her in such an authoritative, clever way that you I couldn’t help but feel vindicated on her behalf. The moment is so sweet and paternal, and really provides a pretty accurate snapshot of what their friendship really is about.

My disappointments with this story were very few. I found and marked ten errors, some repetitive, which were of the spelling error or grammatical structure variety. For a relatively short book (approximately 148 pages) this seemed like too many. The writing is just too good to have those blemishes, and I think a good copy editor could pick up those errors and any I may have missed to present a truly polished novel. I did find these to be distracting, but I can’t say that my overall pleasure in reading this story was diminished. Additionally, a frequent complaint I have with short books has to do with leaving out details, or an abrupt, unsatisfying ending. That was not the case here. The ending was poignant and beautiful, and was the perfect finishing touch to a well-developed story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Mr. Penne creates such beautiful imagery with his prose that I was captivated from the very first line until the ending of this story. With a little editing this book is a solid 4 out of 4. I recommend this book particularly to any adult lovers of realistic fiction. There is one occurrence of a curse word being used, and a pretty gruesome flashback to the horrors of the Vietnam War. These should not be more than a Young Adult or Teen audience can handle, but I feel this story will most likely appeal to a more mature audience. Reading this book was truly a pleasure, and I hope some of you will pick it up and give it a read as well!

A sum of Flaws
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Janiac02's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lady1934
Favorite Author: Gene Stratton Porter
Favorite Book: Girl of the Limberlost
Currently Reading: The Dimension Travel Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Publishing Contest Votes: 5

Post by Lady1934 »

I felt this was a good, solid review and plan to read the book itself. Kudos for not revealing too much of your 'favorite moments'. Just enough to interest a reader into exploring the novel itself. Thank you for your thoroughly enjoyable review.
Janiac02

Post by Janiac02 »

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm very glad you enjoyed the review. If you do read the book I hope you might come back and share your thoughts.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! It's nice when an author includes a hobby or interest he loves (in this case, photography). I loved your description that "the characters' complexities are revealed one layer at a time".
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
philpenne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by philpenne »

Holy Smokes! Ten errors?!?!? Going to have to whack my publisher/editor! He said he read through it three times! Well, c'est la vie. From a story/plot standpoint, thank you so much for the kind words, Janiac02! Yes, I do try to infuse my stories with own experiences; for the segments regarding the cello, I am fortunate to have a friend who plays that particular instrument and I bounced various parts of the book off her, not only to check for technical accuracy but also to ensure I had the right feel. Thanks again, and so glad you liked what you read!
Janiac02

Post by Janiac02 »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review! It's nice when an author includes a hobby or interest he loves (in this case, photography). I loved your description that "the characters' complexities are revealed one layer at a time".
Thank you for the excellent feedback :)

-- 27 Mar 2015, 12:54 --
philpenne wrote:Holy Smokes! Ten errors?!?!? Going to have to whack my publisher/editor! He said he read through it three times! Well, c'est la vie.
This is the first time I've specifically marked errors while reading a book to review, and I'm not sure that I like doing that, in retrospect. I don't like to nit-pick, that is not usually my style. Don't whack the publisher/editor yet (or the reviewer, for that matter :lol: )! I liked the book enough that I'm planning on writing another blurb as an Amazon review, and I've certainly recommended the book to several friends.
philpenne wrote:From a story/plot standpoint, thank you so much for the kind words, Janiac02! Yes, I do try to infuse my stories with own experiences; for the segments regarding the cello, I am fortunate to have a friend who plays that particular instrument and I bounced various parts of the book off her, not only to check for technical accuracy but also to ensure I had the right feel. Thanks again, and so glad you liked what you read!
I was wondering if perhaps you had dabbled a little in that instrument, as that would've explained some of the technical knowledge, but I was particularly impressed that you knew so much about the lifestyle of a professional musician. Good Team Work, in that case!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It is always extremely cool to have feedback from the author!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”