Official Review: The Accidental Art Thief

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: The Accidental Art Thief

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Accidetntal Art Thief" by Joan Schweighardt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Accidental Art Thief is a fictional book written by Joan Schweighardt and is published by Twilight Times Books. It belongs to the Other Fiction genre although it does have some aspects of Romance and Humor as well. The theme of the book is a look at the characters' emotions when they are put through changes and tests in their life, it is also about friendship, love and growing up and finding out who you are.

Kathryn, also known as Zinc to those closest to her, has always been different. Known as an agoraphobic, she is a socially awkward person which means she has a fear of crowds and uncontrollable situations, added to that are her strange grey eyes which always seem to garner so much attention, the one thing that she does not want. For the past twenty-five years Kathryn has been living a comparatively idyllic lifestyle as a caretaker for an old man, which means she has not had to really face her fears of interacting with people. This all comes to an end one day when the old man suddenly passes away. Marge, the old man’s daughter, takes charge of his possessions and gives Kathryn two weeks to find herself a new place to stay, a new job and a new life.

The old man, Thomas Quickwater, was an avid art collector, and when Kathryn leaves she steals one of the paintings. So at forty-five years old, Kathryn leaves her safe haven, taking with her Paddy and Orlando her two dogs, her meager possessions and a stolen painting.

Not knowing who to turn to, she stops off at a clairvoyant that Thomas used to go to. Here she gets a message about the painting. Next she goes to her brother Frankie, who owns an auto repair shop, for help.

The book follows Kathryn’s journey into the real world and the struggles she goes through. The other characters in the book such as Frankie and Marge go through their own changes and address some of the emotional baggage that has been holding them back throughout the years.

I could identify a lot with the main character Kathryn’s feelings of apprehension of her environment, and I also found that the budding romances in the story to be amusing.

The issues in the book affected me to some degree in that the main character, Kathryn realizes that she needs to take charge of her life, something that resonated with me deeply. The book is a look at the emotional and personal changes that the characters go through in order to find themselves and to develop as people. I found the book to be an enjoyable and leisurely read and would give the book four out of four stars.

Although the title of the book is the “accidental’ art thief, it was no accident. Kathryn made a hasty yet conscious decision to steal the picture, so perhaps the title of the book is not totally on point. But otherwise it is a well written book and all the characters are well developed.

View "The Accidental Art Thief" on Bookshelves

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like books where the characters experience personal growth. The cover artwork is stunning.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! I don't think I've ever read a book with an agoraphobic main character, it sounds very interesting! I also agree with Bookowlie about the cover art.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
stoppoppingtheP

Yes, it was very interesting, and well worth the read.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good book. Thank you for the interesting review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Wonderful review stoppoppingthep! The book sounds great. Congratulations Joan Schweighardt, sounds like you made something really special!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks!

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nice review! The story sounds interesting. I like the part where the main character left her 'safe haven'. I think a lot of people need to do that, leave everything they know in order to rediscover themselves.
stoppoppingtheP

Yes. I think that part of the story really reverberated with me because I can be a really introverted person at times.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”