Official Review: I Once Knew Vincent by Michelle Rene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Official Review: I Once Knew Vincent by Michelle Rene

Post by Kappy »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Once Knew Vincent" by Michelle Rene.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Once Knew Vincent (2014), by Michelle Rene, is a captivating and believable work of historical fiction featuring Vincent van Gogh. The story examines friendship, truth, beauty, trust, and forgiveness, while focusing on the trials and tribulations of a young girl, her mother, and Vincent during 1882 and 1883. Ms. Rene notes that the book is based on real people and actual events. Per Vabella Publishing, the author has been working in the art industry in various capacities for more than 10 years. She has written one other published book, using the name Olivia Rivard.

This 206-page novel is narrated in the first person by Maria Hoornik, who is seven years old as the story begins. The two other main characters are Maria's mother and Vincent van Gogh. Maria and her prostitute mother, who are destitute, move into Vincent's apartment early in the tale.

Maria and Vincent quickly bond because of their mutual honesty and Maria's knack for recognizing Vincent's best artwork. For example, Vincent says that Maria's mother "is ugly, and I draw her that way" ... but notes that her soul is not ugly. Those of you who despise the overuse of white lies will likely be smitten by Maria immediately, in the book's first paragraph, where she tells us she "coated very little with the sweet tongue of honey," as was customary for young ladies.

The narrative is mostly about daily life with Vincent while he is a struggling artist. When Maria describes Vincent's specific works of art, the book often contains a reproduction of the artwork she is talking about; this is an especially noteworthy and welcome feature of the book.

The novel appears to be targeted to adult readers. Maria knows of her mother's prostitution, and often mentions it. But the author handles the subject tactfully, so the book might be suitable for mature children. This novel should appeal to a wide variety of readers, especially those of you who value truth over political correctness, and cherish inner beauty over superficial beauty.

Although Vabella Publishing states that every book it publishes is edited by an in-house editor, the grammatical errors in I Once Knew Vincent are considerably more frequent than you would expect from a professionally edited book. However, this is a first-rate novel in all other respects, so it has earned 4 out of 4 stars. The author writes clearly and concisely, and does an excellent job of providing just enough details to create realism and enhance the story. And although this tale doesn't build up to a suspenseful climax, it has a superb and believable ending.

I Once Knew Vincent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like Kappy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

The cover of this book is immediately appealing to me, and your review makes it sound like it is worth a read!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Wonderful review!! I would love to read this. I am a huge fan of Van Gogh.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Thanks! I'm glad you found the review helpful. I've read little historical fiction, but I enjoyed this book and will consider reading more books of this genre.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a wonderful book, thanks for the great review! I've been a Van Gogh fan since high school, when my French teacher did one of her many "culture lessons" on his artwork.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I have always been a fan of all the Impressionists. This book sounds fascinating.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Another note: the author did an excellent job of peering into the mind of a young girl who almost never had enough food to eat; the protagonist's repeated worries about food greatly enhanced the realism of the novel.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Kappy wrote:Thanks! I'm glad you found the review helpful. I've read little historical fiction, but I enjoyed this book and will consider reading more books of this genre.
I'm a fan of historical fiction because I often find history books too dry. Events are more memorable for me if I have a character to relate to.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Lisalovecraft wrote:I'm a fan of historical fiction because I often find history books too dry. Events are more memorable for me if I have a character to relate to.
No doubt about it! My preferred genre of educational fiction is science fiction, largely because I feel that SF incorporates all the other genres of fiction.

And thanks to all (amybo82, Lisalovecraft, LivreAmour217, and bookowlie) for the kind comments!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”