Official Review: Chronic by Yomi Makanjuola

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Chronic by Yomi Makanjuola

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chronic" by Yomi Makanjuola.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chronic is a novel written by Yomi Makanjuola and is a follow-up to his novel Stoic, featuring the same main character Franklin Delano, who returns to Nigeria after his education in the UK and stumbles upon a world where kidnapping seems to be quite common as well as a crime that bodes profit for both the kidnappers as well as the security companies hired to handle these cases, most often without the help of law enforcement. This is in no way a crime thriller, but rather an intriguing story that raises many issues indicant of various minority groups and their places in the world today.

Franklin arrives home in time to complete his national service year for the NYSC (National Youth Service Corps), something all school-leavers in Nigeria within a certain age window has to do before they can seek any real employment. Deployed to Rivers State, he finds himself in the midst of what his mother likes to refer to as a "war zone", at the nexus of the Niger Delta Conflict. Being based in Port Harcourt, where prevalent kidnappings are mainly directed at foreigners and employees of the oil industry, Franklin concurs that he might be safe if he is careful enough.

While waiting at the airport at Lagos, an old high school friend named Dipo coincidentally bumps into Franklin, revealing that he too has been posted to the Port Harcourt campsite where they must finish an orientation phase which will last three weeks. At the end of the orientation, the corpers finally get their assignments. Franklin will be working the next ten to eleven months at a company called Weinberg Security Limited, while Dipo will be spending his time at a newspaper company known as The Delta Equinox. Since they will both be working in Port Harcourt, they agree to share an apartment in the Trans-Armadi neighborhood.

While Weinberg Security deals exclusively with kidnapping and extortion scenarios, Franklin's work at the company is mainly office based. Aside from work, Franklin regularly communicates via email exchanges with a woman called Nike Campbell, a woman he had met while attending a party with his brother before leaving the UK for Nigeria. Their discussions are never romantic, but cover quite serious topics such as problems faced by Nigerians, the Holocaust, and the African slave trade.

Overall, this is a well-written novel, although I do not completely agree with some of the conclusions reached in some of the emails between Franklin and Nike. Apart from being an easy-to-follow read, what this novel lacks are more colorful and diverse characters; nine tenths of them seem to be highly intellectual in one way or another. Franklin's whole world comes across as if it's centered on intelligence and good education. The whole plot of the novel is quite intricate, but to understand the idea behind it all isn't that hard when you eventually reach the end.

First of all, like I mentioned before, this is not a crime novel. Don't read this book with the idea that you will bite your fingernails in worry for the main character's safety. People I'll recommend this novel to the most should be highly intellectual like the characters in the book themselves. However, if you consider yourself just the average-minded John/Jane and just feel the need for something different, feel free to give this a try. For lack of colorful characters only I'm taking away one star, and rating this novel 3 out of 4.

Chronic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like Leon Durham's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! The plot sounds interesting. You brought up a lot of good points about the book lacking more diverse characters. I have found the same thing with a few books I've read - the characters are just too similar.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I do love reading about life in other countries, and how other people relate to the world and the topics at hand in their countries.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thank you bookowlie and escapeartist! I'll admit, this book was a peculiar read. Something readers who like to dwell on global issues will love. Not exactly books I'll choose out of a pile.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

A peculiar read....I like that description. Now I am even more intrigued, since I like quirky books.
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@bookowlie

I have to warn you though; this novel can come across as plotless. A better description would be this: Imagine an office-working Dad, now imagine your his teenage spawn and he's the most boring person you've ever known. Now imagine him telling you - maybe as punishment for you being bad at school - his entire life from 18 - 20 something, and you like have to sit there because you don't want to hurt his feelings because he's just plain lame. Ah, the torment. Here's this book's formula:

90% Intriguing = 10% Fun.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Funny explanation! I love that word "plotless." I read a book a few months ago that was better than that, but still boring and plotless during certain parts. The saving grace was that the good parts were really good.
Cee-Jay Aurinko

I know those books very well. When you finish them, you're kinda glad that you didn't stopped reading just because of a bland plot.
prrlltll
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by prrlltll »

thats the base line of listeners to purpose is topic is liking understood minds and minding oft relic erasure understading personality or off analysis sequenced is assumed to keep trail on life matters tips to behaved something rite to understood hot to do what its good novel fore quit peoples i love it its sound its great ... (little piece of material) .... Franklin arrives home in time to complete his national service year for the NYSC (National Youth Service Corps), something all school-leavers in Nigeria .... here about Nigeria and nysc parson in providence of occupation within spend for vocation Franklin regularly communicates via email exchanges with a woman called Nike Campbell, a woman he had met while attending a party with his brother before leaving the UK for Nigeria ... ok its about faderal or law imsiut how duty calls in where no meant of anything more then law or justices a case to studies about relates subject is...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”