Official Review: Cherries in the Snow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Cherries in the Snow

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cherries in the Snow" by Jonathan Douglas Duran.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cherries in the Snow is a collection of short stories written by Jonathan Douglas Duran. The book is fictional and can be classified under the Other Fiction genre as all of the stories do not fit under any of the other genres.

This book contains ten short stories, the first being titled ‘Cherries in the Snow’ hence the title of the book. It is about a little girl and her father who are walking in the snowing woods in the early morning. It is told from the girl’s point of view. Her father is disturbed and distraught because of his wife’s death and this leads him to take the action that he does. This story explains a child’s imagination and shows that things are seen and understood differently through a child’s eyes.

Some of the other stories contain excerpts of people’s thoughts. Phantom Pains is a man wondering over his missing finger and the imaginary pain that he feels there. Other stories such as A Decent Story and An Indecent Story are both intimately linked, each a different view about the same situation. Another story is about one man’s experience with meeting the devil himself. And yet another is about a barber and shows that sometimes what we perceive to be bad is perhaps good if we understood the full depth of the situation. Of course, when reviewing short stories such as these, it is difficult to summarize the story without giving spoilers, because the crux of the story is dependent on much of the storyline.

The one story that especially caught my attention is called The Crash and is about a man who stows away in a department store and develops a strange relationship with the mannequins.

The last story Nadja seems to tie all the threads of the previous stories together, yet it is the strangest one of them all and the reader is still left wondering about its reality.

Overall, I found this book to be an interesting read, although a few readers may find some of the stories to have rather strange twists and morbid subjects. Another thing that I picked up from reading the book is that most, if not all of the stories have some mention of snow and blood, and I think that the author purposefully used these as symbols. This creates a rather intense imagery of vivid red blood against pure white snow, which is comparable to the image created by the title.

On the whole the book was very well written. The stories were intriguing, interesting and thought provoking, all good qualities of short stories. I would recommend it to anyone who likes something different to capture their imagination. Therefore, I would give this book a four out of four stars.

Cherries in the Snow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

You did a great job giving quick highlights of the short stories in Cherries in the Snow. I kept scrolling by this title, and I'm really happy I stumbled upon this review. I'm definitely going to put this on my to read list!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Great review! I really want to read this now.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a nice review. I'm a fan of short stories, might check this one out.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Tzara
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Candide</a>
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tzara »

Thank you for your review - It's fun to find two reviewers on this site with totally opposite takes on the book (the first reviewer rated the book 1 out of 4 stars).

Cheers!
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Wow. That is quite a difference, but I suppose everybody has individual opinions and tastes. I try to be as objective as possible when reviewing a book, but I can sincerely say that it was a well written book and I enjoyed reading it. I hope that you all will too.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”