Leaving Time - Jodi Picoult

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
silverysunset
Bookshelf Size: 1

Leaving Time - Jodi Picoult

Post by silverysunset »

This book was all over the place! By the end of the book I was left feeling misled. The author continuously jumped around from each character's POV. Just when you were getting a little bit of information from one character, the book would launch into a very long segment of how to handle elephants instead of telling the readers more about the woman's disappearance. By the time it came back around to that character, I had nearly forgotten what was going on previously. I found reading through the information about elephants to be very informative and interesting at the beginning, but soon became rather boring after so many chapters of it. Overall, I would not recommend this book unless you are a die-hard elephant fan.
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

I really enjoyed this one. Picoult often uses the differing POV' s which can be jarring. I've read enough of her books to expect it. But I loved all the information about the elephants because I felt it perfectly paralleled the journey of the main character. I have read enough of her books that I have been ready for and sometimes have even figured out the twist she always adds, but this one I didn't see at all. I thought it was one of her best books in a while. But I have read more reviews that agree with you than probably agree with me. Ah, the beauty of reading :P
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
BrittAtwell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittatwell.html

Post by BrittAtwell »

When starting Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult, I knew of course that I would be in awe over it. That's just what Jodi Picoult does, she leaves her readers jaw dropped and amazed. I love this story. It tells such a strong bond between a mother and her daughter. It shows that a person will go to great extreme's to receive justice and the truth. The part about this book that I enjoyed the most was that Jenna's mother, Alice, worked in an Elephant Sanctuary. Throughout the story Picoult delivers information about the animals that personally I didn't know. I have always learned something new from reading Picoult's books. I am not only able to enjoy the mystery of her books, but I'm also able to take something valuable from each book. The ending was a little confusing for me. I am not sure if it was supposed to remain a mystery and allow you to fantasize your own theory or if maybe I missed something important. Overall though, the book was amazing.
AimeeLou1984
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AimeeLou1984 »

I've just finished this one and as an avid fan of Jodi Picoult I was a little disappointed. Unlike any other book I've read by Picoult, I found myself quite bored and just trying to get the book finished, it was more of a chore in parts. This was largely because of the long chapters on elephants. I realised at the end there was a reason the book was focused on elephants - she was raising awareness. Don't get me wrong, I found parts of it interesting learning different facts about elephants. However, it just didn't flow well for me. Then the ending, while I didn't expect it and was quite clever in a way, it just didn't make sense to me. It seemed a bit too far fetched.

I definitely share the views of the first reviewer. For me this one just didn't grab me the way her others have in the past. Won't put me off though - Jodi Picoult is still one of the best authors out there.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

A friend recommended this one to me- a friend who almost always refers a new favorite my way. It was a good book, but I was a little disappointed with the ending being totally strayed from what I was expecting. I felt like I had to go back and forth several times also, because it seemed the transition between narrarators was somewhat conflicting. I hate that I wasnt very interested in this one, as I usually enjoy anything by Jodi Picoult, but this one was definitely the game changer.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”