How to Build a Girl - Caitlin Moran

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sdeerfield82
Favorite Author: Chris Bojhalian
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Queen of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdeerfield82.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

How to Build a Girl - Caitlin Moran

Post by sdeerfield82 »

I wanted so much to like this book. I figured all women, of every age, would be able to relate to a teenage girl who is trying to be what she *thinks* she is supposed to be. Add to the mix that she 1.) is smart 2.) is from a dirt poor family 3.) has never had a boyfriend…. I mean, these are the things that have a major impact on your social life in high school. Maybe we didn't all face the same challenges but there were challenges nonetheless. Even if you were the most popular kid in school, I think you probably wondered at times if you were getting right.

And yet, somehow, I could not relate to Johanna. I liked her occasionally and I even sympathized with her every now and then but the story just didn't ring true for me and I couldn't wait for it to be over. I had to see it through because I kept hoping it would get better but in the end I was just glad to be finished.

Side note: I also found it overly crass. I have no problem with a book/characters being gritty, if it fits. To me, in "How to Build a Girl" it was just gratuitous and somewhat crude.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”