When You Were Older by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

When You Were Older by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Post by mmandy38 »

This is my first novel by Catherine Ryan Hyde, but I can assure you that it won't be my last. I absolutely loved the story that this novel was about, and could not get enough of it.

Russell was a successful businessman that worked in the Twin Towers. Luckily, on the morning of September 11th, as Russell was running out of his apartment to head to work when he receives a phone call saying that his mom had passed away. He had to drop his life, to go take care of his life,as well as his brother, in the small-town that he thought he had left behind.

When trouble arises, Russell fights for those that he loves most, and does anything for those around him. He has to deal with situations with his neighbor, brother, as well as his girlfriend that makes the reader feel for Russell.

The story is about love and loss, as well as the importance of friends and family. I laughed, cried, and felt for all of these characters that were in the novel. It is a powerful story that makes you recall the instances that happened that tragic day in September, and follows a survivor in the months to follow.

The only part of this story that I did not like as much as I wanted to was the ending. I fell in love with the idea of Anat of Rusty being a family, but the reader really does not what happens with them, or what happened with her father.

This book is easily a 3.5 out of 4 stars (it would have been 4, if it were not for the ending.) I highly recommend this book to anyone, and please let me know what you think of it. :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”