Official Review: A Ferris Wheel For Corie by Rebecca McNutt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Official Review: A Ferris Wheel For Corie by Rebecca McNutt

Post by Lilapo9 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Ferris Wheel For Corie" by Rebecca McNutt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever felt that no matter what you do or who you are is just not good enough for the people who are supposed to love you? How do you find your way without self-destructing? In this fast-paced story called A Ferris Wheel for Corie written by Rebecca McNutt we learn how one young man struggles to find his way in the jungle that is his life.

Written for young adults, this fictional story will speak to anyone who has ever felt like they didn't belong. Being misunderstood in our families and in our schools is a journey that many have traveled as they have grown to adulthood. In this story, our main character Mark is a Goth dressing youth who just wants to be left alone. He cannot relate to his rich parents and finds himself at odds with their lifestyle.

Feeling alone Mark gets suspended from school for wearing an inappropriate shirt and turns to smoking pot in his room. His parents are not impressed and in an attempt to “save him” send him to the Mercy Academy for Defiant Youth in England. While en route he suffers through a terrible explosion on the plane and manages to survive. The experiences he has while watching those around him being sucked out of the open side of the plane leave him with a sense of loss so great that he cannot voice it himself. While in a state of shock in the hospital he learns that his parents are now sending him to The Quill Recovery Center to recover from his trauma. His parents in an attempt to keep it quiet plan on telling everyone that Mark is away at a horseback riding resort in Sweden.

How does a young man who feels lost and alone deal with being thrown away? Journey with Mark as he enters a new world at the Quill Recovery Center and meets some new characters each with their own story to tell. How will a band of misfits that will become his new family guide Mark to find his way? What will he learn about himself as he tries to find a way to befriend the one person who least wants him around? Will he end up being lost like the souls who left this world when the plane exploded?

I enjoyed reading this story and found myself taken right along with the main character through the plane explosion and through his experiences. The author’s descriptions added much detail to the environment that the main character encountered as he journeyed from a rebellious youth to the young man he became in this story. I give this story 3 out of 4 stars. This was a fast-paced story and easy to read. The author’s ability to tell characters’ stories within a single story is a gift and adds interest to this story.

A Ferris Wheel For Corie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lilapo9's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

This actually looks really interesting! I liked your review. What about it prevented you from giving it 4 stars?
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

Lisalovecraft wrote:This actually looks really interesting! I liked your review. What about it prevented you from giving it 4 stars?
What prevented me from giving this book 4 stars was pacing. I felt that the story jumped too quickly from section to section. When you read it let me know what you think about it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”