Official Review: Alcapenny and Bot and the Treacherous Fo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Alcapenny and Bot and the Treacherous Fo...

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alcapenny and Bot and the Treacherous Forest" by Andrea Leigh Youngman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read many children's books and once in a while, a children's book comes by that is a joy to read. This is such a book! "Alcapenny and Bot and the Treacherous Forest" by Andrea Leigh Youngman is a delightful and imaginative tale that will bewitch the hearts of its readers, young and old.

This gem of a story follows the story of two awesome kids who can talk to animals. Alcapenny and her brother Bot aren't your average kids, mind you. They are smarter, creative, engaging, and oh yes, tinny; they are only three-inch tall! What they lack in size, they make up for in spirit. It isn't easy being small, as one can get squashed or, heaven forbid, eaten. Luckily our protagonists use their wits to outsmart their enemies. I fell in love with them from the very first line, rooted for them and felt attached to them.

Alcapenny and Bot have a happy family life, but they are discontented with their lot. The world is full of dangers, especially for tiny people, so their loving parents keep them under tight supervision. Our protagonists, like all kids, fail to realize their vulnerability. They want to go out to explore the great outdoors and to experience some great adventures. Little do they know that they will get their wish, and much more besides.

11 year old Bot is reckless and often gets into a lot of mischief. His 13 year old sister is more level-headed than him. When opportunity arises, Bot ventures outside and tragedy strikes. His sister, who followed him to keep an eye on him, gets whisked by a passing hawk and considered to be dead by all. Well, all but our poor Bot who holds himself accountable (and rightly so) for her bitter fate. Bot hatches a plan, with the help of with his loyal friends Isabella the guinea pig and Carl the mouse, to go on a quest to look for his sister.

From her end, Alcapenny shows plenty of resourcefulness and common sense. She manages to free herself from the talons of the hawk and finds herself far away from the comforts of home. She starts a long journey home and, after a long miserable night, decides to enjoy herself and make the most of her adventure.

The story switches back and forth between the two kids and the reader follows their story with a bathed breath. During their adventures the kids will encounter both enemies and friends, will have several dangerously close brushes with death, and will learn that "no matter how little you, are family is a real big deal."

I've always enjoyed reading books featuring thumb-size people and found this book a refreshing tale. The imaginative world created by the author is fun to read and would appeal to kids and adults alike. A lively quest, quirky characters, touching situations, speaking animals and a lesson learned, make for a wonderful read.

This book is suited for younger readers as it has a grand adventure story with themes of family, friendship and love. The book also emphasizes qualities such as compassion, empathy and kindness. Kids will learn that animals have feelings as well and treat them accordingly. The language used is appropriate for young readers or for a preschooler read-aloud selection. The storyline is not so complex as to frustrate less skilled readers, but neither is it so simplistic as to bore advanced readers or their parents!

Have I mentioned that I loved this book?? In spite of the word "said" being overused at times, it was a sweet and fun read. I highly recommend this book and rate it 4 out of 4 stars! I hope this book will be translated to other languages and I am sure it will be a hit! This book is the first of a series and I am looking forward to the next installment! Kudos to the author for a well written book!

Alcapenny and Bot and the Treacherous Forest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! The book looks interesting, although I am surprised to see it in the Other Fiction category.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review! The book looks interesting, although I am surprised to see it in the Other Fiction category.
Thank you for commenting. :)

I was surprised as well. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Great review, Gali. This sounds like it would be a delight to read.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
gali

Post by gali »

TammyO wrote:Great review, Gali. This sounds like it would be a delight to read.
Thank you and it is a delight to read. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

This sounds like a fun book. I think my nephews and nieces would like it. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
gali

Post by gali »

Stevefromtheblock wrote:This sounds like a fun book. I think my nephews and nieces would like it. Thanks!
It is and I highly recommend it.
A retired Admin/Mod

debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Nice, sweet review. I'll suggest this one to my sibling
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Sounds great! The cover looks awesome too. Thanks for the great review :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you debo9967 and Ryan :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Thank you for this review. I am going to recommend it to my daughter. :)
gali

Post by gali »

Ealasaid wrote:Thank you for this review. I am going to recommend it to my daughter. :)
My pleasure :)
A retired Admin/Mod

slad
Currently Reading: Alcapenny and Bot and the Treacherous Forest
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by slad »

Niec book and really helpful to all
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really great story. I'm on the short side myself, so this would probably make me feel better! I know I have to be taller then them at 3 inches! I'm glad you loved this story so well! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like a really great story. I'm on the short side myself, so this would probably make me feel better! I know I have to be taller then them at 3 inches! I'm glad you loved this story so well! Thanks for the review.
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”