Official Review: Cinders by V.M. Sawh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Official Review: Cinders by V.M. Sawh

Post by Lisalovecraft »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cinders" by V.M. Sawh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did you ever think that the story of Cinderella would be better if it had some sex and more violence? If so, then you may enjoy this short tale, Good Tales for Bad Dreams: Cinders by V.M. Sawh.

This story features Rella, a young woman living in a house of ill-repute. Her wicked stepmother is the Madame. Her evil stepsisters, Anastasia and Drucilda, are co-workers. The glass slipper comes into the story in a new and clever way.

The writing is very nice, if a bit verbose. The author uses words in a masterful and poetic way. This gives the work a classic, timeless feel. The author weaves a dark and magical mood throughout the tale. Sensory details drew me in to the story.

Cinders contains some nods to the bloody events in the classic Grimm tale. I assumed that the main character’s nickname would be Cinders, but it was Rella. Where does ‘Cinders’ come into play? This is explained later in the story.

I was not sure what to expect when I read this story. I was a little shocked at some of the more graphic details, which were unexpected. I have read erotica, but not often. When I came across the first sexual event I thought, “Oh, that’s naughty. I didn’t know it was going to be this type of story.” These scenes are tastefully written with an artistic flair. The torture scene did make me feel uncomfortable, as I am sure was the intention. The sex scene did not do much for me; I did not feel that it added to the story.

Short stories can explore a theme or a feeling more so than develop a character. This is the case here, as the plot drives the characters instead of vice versa. The actions Rella chose were not consistent from the first half of the story to the second. She was depicted as very feisty and defiant at the beginning of the story. This made it difficult to believe that she would make some of the choices that she did later in the story, even with the ultimatums given by Stepmother.

The author was trying to fit his story within the confines of original Cinderella tale like Drucilda trying to fit her big foot into the little glass slipper. I felt that certain events should have had more conflict. The plot went from point A to point B too easily. If this were a longer story, I would have had more of a problem with this issue.

A theme that the author explores is keeping hope in a world of darkness. Rella deals with the cold, dark truths of the world such as oppression and dark sexual desires. Will she let it change her or will she retain hope for the good in the world? I feel that the story was successful in conveying this theme, although there was much more darkness than hope expressed in the events. Thematically the story was well done.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this 30 page story from start to finish. The author was successful in creating a consistent mood and evoking an emotional reaction. The ending had emotional resonance but did not hit the mark with me on a logical level. The sequence of events was tenuous and Rella’s actions felt uneven at times. These issues are not a huge deal since this is a short story. If you are looking for a sensual re-imagining of the classic Cinderella tale, then this short story would be a good choice.

Cinders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lisalovecraft's review? Post a comment saying so!
VM_Sawh84
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by VM_Sawh84 »

Thank you Lisalovecraft (awesome name) for the thoughtful, well-written review!
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

:D
Thank you! I'm really happy that I had the opportunity to read this tale, it was very enjoyable. Are you putting out a collection of short stories in this theme? I remember reading that somewhere when I selected this for review.
VM_Sawh84
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by VM_Sawh84 »

Oh yes, absolutely! I have 2 other tales out already, "Hontas" - which just got reviewed on this site and "Anastasia" which is free on Wattpad.

"Anastasia" may be of interest, as it weaves in and around the "Cinders" story and stars our favourite nasty stepsister. I'd like to link to it here, but that may be against the forum rules.

Anyway, I just wanted to show my appreciation for your review. Thank you for taking the time and the risk on an unknown author. I've taken your comments to heart and will use your feedback to grow as a writer.

If you'd like to get updates on future works, I am active on Goodreads and Twitter:)
There will be a sci-fi Hansel & Gretel story coming soon!
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thanks again, I love having the opportunity to read the works of new and talented writers! I'll be on the lookout for your Hansel & Gretel tales..sounds interesting!
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent, thorough review. But note that there is no "original Cinderella." This folk tale is thousands of years old and appears in numerous cultures, sometimes with a male protagonist; e.g., there is a "Korean Cinderella," a "Persian Cinderella," and an "Irish Cinderlad." According to Wikipedia, the earliest known variant of the story was published in 7 B.C.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thanks, Kappy! I meant the Grimm version. I had no idea there were so many versions! Coincidently, I was reading a book of Egyptian mythology to my son and came across a Cinderella-type story. A beautiful maiden has her favorite red slipper stolen by a bird. The Pharoah ends up with the slipper and sends out a search party looking for its owner. It's interesting to see how this story plays out in different cultures and how it is still being retold today!
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Lisalovecraft wrote:Thanks, Kappy! I meant the Grimm version. I had no idea there were so many versions! ...
I didn't know, either, until a few weeks ago when I happened to see The Korean Cinderella at my local branch library.
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Kappy wrote:
Lisalovecraft wrote:Thanks, Kappy! I meant the Grimm version. I had no idea there were so many versions! ...
I didn't know, either, until a few weeks ago when I happened to see The Korean Cinderella at my local branch library.
Ohh! Did you read it??
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Lisalovecraft wrote:... Ohh! Did you read it??
Yes; I thought it was charming. Here's a link to a review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revi ... inderella/

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”