Chickens & Hens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pemmycats8
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pemmycats8.html

Chickens & Hens

Post by Pemmycats8 »

By Nancy-Gail Burns
This was an advanced reader copy of a book that I received from Grey Gecko Press in exchange for my honest review (see honest review below :-)
I loved this book! It was one of those lovely, engrossing books where you want to read every sentence (no skipping boring chunks) because the sentences are strung together so beautifully. Ms. Burns has a way of looking at the world (and describing that world) that is refreshingly unique. I like to highlight (in my e-reader) words that I like or sections that intrigue me or catch me in some way. I was doing that all over this book. I loved the surprising phrases and thoughts.

Now - more specifics about the book. Chickens & Hens alternates chapters between past and present. The "past" chapters walk you through the main character's life (Marnie's life) from childhood through young adulthood. The "present" chapters show Marnie (as a young woman) boarding a train to somewhere and thinking about a major argument with her mother. These present chaoters embue the past chapters with a feeling that bad things are coming. The time line (past and present) flows forward. In other words, we see Marnie first as a child and then watch her grow. I appreciated that the voice of the character matured over the course of the book. For example, the first chaoters are Marnie dealing with the death of her father. She sees the tragedy through her own eyes, not understanding her mothers loss , fear, and pain. Later, as Marnie struggles with love herself, she sees a more complicated view of her mother and herself. Very satisfying.

Characters. The main focus of this book is Marnie and her relationships. Her wonderful mother, grandmother, and Aunts are at the heart of each chapter as they use their wisdom, optimism, and humor to help guide Marnie into the woman she becomes. Each of them are complicated, real women with problems. I love how a moment in their lives can be painful but also filled with love and humor. For example, during a play at school Marnie falls in a pool of pee while wearing her new hat in front of the whole community - utter humiliation. Her mother and grandmother don't drown her in pity but find a way to tighten their family bond through humor. Their example helps Marnie cope with all the "chickens" (good and bad) that enter their lives. The men are more one-dimensional - either good or bad. The good men don't seem to have any bad qualities and the bad men are just evil. Even her beloved father is just another way to connect the women. We see very little of him and only get to know his good qualities through the behavior and memories of Marnie and Ma.

The one thing that keeps this book from being perfect is the ending. The train (present) sections were meant to foreshadow something big near the book's conclusion. However, by the time I was half way rough the book I had the plot twist figured out. It didn't change my enjoyment of the book but it was disappointing thst the "train" symbolism was so obvious.
Overall - wonderful book. Read it if you enjoy beautiful language and a character-focused story. Highly recommend.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”