Official Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Bush Pilots" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alaska is the final frontier, the land where many have gone and not returned, where one lives according to Nature’s rules and whims, and this is the place where DC finds himself headed towards. The Last Bush Pilots written by Eric Auxier is a high paced adventure novel set in the Alaskan wilderness. The book is a fictional story, although it is based on the author’s experiences of living and flying as a Bush Pilot in Alaska which is perhaps why he is able to write about it with so much accuracy and passion. The Last Bush Pilots can be said to belong to the Other Fiction genre, as it has a bit of everything; romance, adventure, mystery and humor.

Daniel Christopher Alva, otherwise known as DC, is a pilot who is frustrated with giving rides to tourists over the Grand Canyon. He feels that his life and his career are going nowhere, and that he needs to do something to kick-start his career. In his field of work it is impossible to get a job without sufficient experience, but obviously he cannot get the experience unless he has a job. With this paradox he is stuck on the bottom rung of the ladder. So one day when Allen, his long-time friend and fellow pilot, tells DC to join him in Alaska, DC makes a decision he doesn't know if he will come to regret. Although unsure, DC leaves the relative safety and monotony of his job and wanders into the unknown, leaving his long-time girlfriend, Stephanie, behind as well.

He soon finds out that flying in Alaska is a lot different to flying elsewhere. Rules are broken and the element of danger is much more evident. Clear skies are a rarity and many times you find yourself flying in very low visibility just hoping that you don’t bump into something. Nature and especially the weather is a much more powerful and dominant force in their lives.

In the beginning DC is given the nickname cheechacko, because he is the newbie. But he is readily accepted by his other piloting buddies. He meets a bunch of guys that he quickly gets close to, including Ralph, Jake and the boss, Dusty Tucker. In addition, DC has to deal with many trials, including the changeable weather conditions, being the cheechacko, rescuing orphaned bear cubs to sorting out his complicated love life.

I would rate this book three out of four stars. The reason for this is that I really enjoyed this book, although I found it slightly difficult to read in the beginning with the many aviation terms that I was not familiar with, and that I’m sure most others would not be familiar with either unless they were a pilot themselves. Another thing to point out is that the book can seem quite long winded at first. The author seems to point out every minuscule detail about the weather and scenery. But I think that readers who like to read about adventure and exploration would enjoy this book very much. I found The Last Bush Pilots to be a pleasurable and entertaining read. From another point of view, you could say that this book is about having a dream and pursuing it even if you literally have to go to the ends of the earth.

The Last Bush Pilots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! This book looks very interesting. I enjoy books that are set in adventurous locales, and Alaska certainly fits the bill :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
stoppoppingtheP

If you like adventure stories, I am sure you will enjoy this book. Make sure to add it to your to-read shelf!

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Capnaux
Favorite Author: Eric Auxier
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2121">The Last Bush Pilots</a>
Bookshelf Size: 4
fav_author_id: 1888

Post by Capnaux »

Thank you for the interest, Bookowlie. I hope you enjoyed the read!

And, thank you for a very thorough, honest and candid review, stoppoppingtheP. I'm impressed!

Eric (Author)
stoppoppingtheP

Pleasure :D

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Thanks for this review. If I will find myself reading this novel, as I think I will, it will be my second novel on flying to read with a span of not more than 6 months.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Very nice review! As a long term traveler with a dream to go to Alaska one day (maybe soon) I think I will like all the details about the weather and scenery. I'm getting this book!
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Good Review, I totally agree with everything except that the jargon used were pretty well explained by the author.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”