Official Review: Cherries in the Snow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Official Review: Cherries in the Snow

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Stevefromtheblock wrote:I read the other review, too. Just goes to show, a book review is just an opinion.
I agree with that, and I don't think there's a right or wrong, but there are some tangible elements that could be agreed upon.

1) Grammar and basic writing. This reviewer Kappy found many flaws, which were delineated. The other reviewer called it well-written, so I suspect that the writing was cleaned up between reviews. (No judgment implied here--it's great to clean up our writing! I uploaded two small changes regarding typos that were brought to my attention in my self-published book.)

2) Content rating, such as movies are rated PG or R, etc. The other reviewer also mentioned the morbidity of this book and its possible inappropriateness for some readers. (The easily-offended among us, haha, such as myself.)

But you make a good point. The other reviewer was drawn in and intrigued. This reviewer, Kappy, was clearly mortally offended. So what do we have here with this book? Blatant sensationalism, or deep psychological insight? I have no freakin' clue.

It certainly is ambiguous, but if I had to play detective, I'd say that Kappy probably wouldn't play the "offensive" card unless the book was really offensive. I think Kappy has the right to give one star, because there's indecency and then there's indecency. StopP, however, took something from it, as odd and contradictory as that seems.

Bottom line, I'm just listening to myself talk at this point. Yeah, it is what it is. I can't tolerate slasher films, but other people love them. Hm. Eh.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Good points! I also think some reviewers are very objective, some are subjective in an author's favor (not on purpose), some are subjective in the other direction (not on purpose).....if that makes any sense. There are some people that overlook grammatical errors, either because they don't notice them or don't want to offend the author.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thank you! Well, I firmly believe that a few errors should be overlooked. (HA HA! Of course I do!) :-D But if there's a lack of good writing, like mistake after mistake, that's different. (I didn't used to notice mistakes myself until I spent months researching editing for my own publishing. Now I notice them everywhere, and I can't say it's a good thing! I was happier before.)

I do wonder, though, if there's a distinction between, "I didn't enjoy reading this book," because, "It wasn't my genre," vs. "I don't really think anyone would enjoy it." The weird thing is that projection you have to do to figure out whether it's a bad story or just not your cup of tea, ya know? I mean, just because the writer weaves a story well doesn't mean it's a good one or worth telling, etc.

I can't say how I'd lean, having only reviewed published works on my blog with no expectation that the author will even know about my post! I'm more glad now that I'm not a reviewer! But I almost want to read this book now to break the tie, and I just might do it. I have to admit that I'm attracted by its ambiguity.

-- 14 Apr 2015, 23:40 --

I may have misused "breaking the tie" and "ambiguity," but it's late and you know what I mean! :-)
Tzara
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Candide</a>
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tzara »

Hello all - I am the author of this book and I'd like to address a few issues which have been brought up.
bookowlie wrote:Hopefully, the author will use the review in the way it's intended, as constructive criticism.
I want honesty in reviews. I'm thrilled just to have someone read and think about my work. I loved Kappy's review and StoppoppingtheP's review because I could tell they both actually read the book, thought about it, and shared their honest opinions.
bookowlie wrote: Whether or not you are "looking" for grammatical errors, they become distracting.
I agree with this 1,000% - The version Kappy reviewed was still an ARC and the final (now in) print version (also the version reviewed by StoppoppingtheP) has been corrected.
zeldas_lullaby wrote:...I almost want to read this book now to break the tie, and I just might do it. I have to admit that I'm attracted by its ambiguity.
I'd love to provide you with a digital copy for free! Actually, if anyone here would like one, just reply and tell me what format you prefer (epub, mobi, azw, pdf, etc.) and I will send you a download link.

Also, in general -- the talk of sensationalism and indecency are blown out of proportion, I think. I abhor sensationalism because it is crass and below artistic sensibilities. I would never release something that I didn't feel proud of and I could never feel proud of any work created solely to spite, to harm, or to mock the beautiful and fragile human condition which binds us all together. Believe it or not, I'm no cynic. The stories are dark - that's true - but they are full of life and drama in the most sincere ways I can imagine. I'm not trying to offend, but I accept the fact that I do. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion.

Thank you!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Tzara - It's a shame that the review didn't mention that the book was still an ARC. I agree that it's clear both reviewers actually read the book and gave honest, thoughtful opinions. It's much better than a review that is too general and you wonder if the person just skimmed the book in order to jot down a few thoughts.

Regarding mixed reviews, keep in mind The Goldfinch received thousands of mixed reviews. The book won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and was at the top of the NY Times Bestseller List for months. It was a monthly selection for my in-person book club and there was a lively, mixed response. Some of the members hated it, while others thought it was a masterpiece (I was somewhere in the middle).
Tzara

Post by Tzara »

bookowlie wrote: I agree that it's clear both reviewers actually read the book and gave honest, thoughtful opinions. It's much better than a review that is too general and you wonder if the person just skimmed the book in order to jot down a few thoughts.

Regarding mixed reviews...
Indeed -- I'm tickled pink just to get reviews. Period. Full stop. Good or bad is irrelevant to me, as long as the aforementioned honesty is present in the review than I think it's a GREAT review.

My last book (also reviewed on this site!forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... 22#p335622)was the same way - very divisive, people love it or hate it. Funnily enough my favorite review is one that lands more on the "hate" side of the spectrum. The reason I enjoyed it so, was because while reading it, I kept thinking "this is a great endorsement for readers like me - if I read this review I'd rush out to get the book ASAP!" I feel the same about Kappy's review. He's fair in the sense that he readily admits I can write good, compelling stories, but that there is also much subject matter that puts him off as a reader. That's a good review in my mind, regardless of how many 'stars' are attached to it.

Hope that makes some sense! Thank you for the chance to clear the air and have a dialog about this.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Good points! When reading some reviews, I think the rating should be higher based on the content of the review. It's all based on the particular reviewer taking everything into account and coming up with an overall rating. Another person might take the same details into account and come up with a higher, or lower, rating. Just my own observations and opinion. Ducking in case tomatoes are thrown.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I sent you a PM, Tzara, and I'm taking you up on it! This will be fun. I'll be posting back with my thoughts, after receiving and reading the short stories, everyone!!
Tzara

Post by Tzara »

Great, thank you for taking me up on the offer, Zeldas_lullaby.

Did you receive a reply via PM from me? It seems like the few times I've tried to send PMs on this site the other party never received them. Just curious.

Thanks again!
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yep, got it, and I PMed back!! :-D

-- 17 Apr 2015, 14:19 --

OK, I'm almost done with the reading... just two short stories left. I've got to go be productive for a few hours, but I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts later this afternoon/evening.

-- 17 Apr 2015, 21:01 --

OK, I've read the whole book. Where to begin? I loved it. The stories were captivating and I had to keep reading to find out how they'd end. They were also linked to each other through symbolism (all about the snow) and occasional character crossovers, and thematics. I would give it 3 or 3.5 out of 4 stars. I'd give it four, but for the following two facts: 1) There was some questionable content. Hello. 2) It read like half a book. It was under 150 pages, with a handful of blank pages between stories. Number two isn't a strong criticism, because it's a collection of short stories. They're short by definition. I thought the whole theme was well-developed within those confines.

I would definitely put a warning about the offensive content into a review of this book, and/or in the description. I'm thinking it didn't bother me too much because I braced myself for impact, having read Kappy's review. I'm not certain what my response would've been otherwise. Also, there were only one or two stories that downright offended me--the rest, not so offensive (although i can see how they could be interpreted that way). The one about meeting the devil had some lurid descriptions of the devil's naked body (ewww), and the one about the mannequins (The Crash) had... pretty much what you'd expect in a dirty story about mannequins.

However, I think that these stories had purposes, including the two mentioned above. I definitely could sense that the author was conveying some truths that he's picked up (hopefully not in a department store late at night...). Most if not all of these stories hooked me and didn't let go. They were riveting, captivating, and meaningful. I appreciate that because I have focus issues with reading, but these stories latch on and don't let up.

I would also mention that they should be read in order. It's not imperative, but I'd recommend it.

I LOVED the author's about-the-author page at the end of the book. No spoilers here, though. You'll have to read it for yourself.

I fully support Kappy in his 1-star review, although I do not concur. This book could definitely be considered distasteful. I enjoyed it, but I understand how he didn't, and how other potential readers might not. Maybe it is all a matter of opinion after all.

The writing has indeed been cleaned up since Kappy reviewed the ARC. I'd give the edit job a B. Overall, I really enjoyed these stories and they were thought-provoking. :o
Tzara

Post by Tzara »

zeldas_lullaby wrote: OK, I've read the whole book. Where to begin? I loved it. The stories were captivating and I had to keep reading to find out how they'd end. They were also linked to each other through symbolism (all about the snow) and occasional character crossovers, and thematics. I would give it 3 or 3.5 out of 4 stars. I'd give it four, but for the following two facts: 1) There was some questionable content. Hello. 2) It read like half a book. It was under 150 pages, with a handful of blank pages between stories. Number two isn't a strong criticism, because it's a collection of short stories. They're short by definition. I thought the whole theme was well-developed within those confines.

I would definitely put a warning about the offensive content into a review of this book, and/or in the description. I'm thinking it didn't bother me too much because I braced myself for impact, having read Kappy's review. I'm not certain what my response would've been otherwise. Also, there were only one or two stories that downright offended me--the rest, not so offensive (although i can see how they could be interpreted that way). The one about meeting the devil had some lurid descriptions of the devil's naked body (ewww), and the one about the mannequins (The Crash) had... pretty much what you'd expect in a dirty story about mannequins.

However, I think that these stories had purposes, including the two mentioned above. I definitely could sense that the author was conveying some truths that he's picked up (hopefully not in a department store late at night...). Most if not all of these stories hooked me and didn't let go. They were riveting, captivating, and meaningful. I appreciate that because I have focus issues with reading, but these stories latch on and don't let up.

I would also mention that they should be read in order. It's not imperative, but I'd recommend it.

I LOVED the author's about-the-author page at the end of the book. No spoilers here, though. You'll have to read it for yourself.

I fully support Kappy in his 1-star review, although I do not concur. This book could definitely be considered distasteful. I enjoyed it, but I understand how he didn't, and how other potential readers might not. Maybe it is all a matter of opinion after all.

The writing has indeed been cleaned up since Kappy reviewed the ARC. I'd give the edit job a B. Overall, I really enjoyed these stories and they were thought-provoking. :o
Hey - thanks for taking the time to read and review the book! I'm still a bit gobsmacked that words like distasteful are being used to describe parts of the book - perhaps I'm just too close to it (and too desensitized) to see it for what it really is. It is honestly a bit depressing to me, as I swore that when I finished this book it was my tame, mainstream work that would be enjoyed by a much broader audience than my first book, which I would definitely say is NC-17 rated.

In any event, it is what it is and I probably just made a mistake including all the stories together in one collection, since there are straight dramatic stories, humor, crime, literary, etc... I'm afraid the more horror-centric stories are spoiling the brew for everything else. Ah well - live and learn!

Again though, thank you so much for devoting some time to my work. I received the copy of your book and I plan to start in on it this week, so hopefully I'll be able to return the review favor in the near future. Cheers!
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! Yeah, I think you're too close to the forest to see the trees, and when that happens within our own minds, it's near impossible to get that perspective. It's like wondering what you look like to other people--you can't get outside of yourself to see, ya know? And then someone video tapes you, and you watch two seconds and shriek, "OMG! That isn't me!! Turn it off!"

It doesn't make it bad, though. Even the one with the devil had a lot of insight and I could not let up with that one--it clawed me, and left me thinking, "Oh my gosh, I bet that really happened--hence text speak and twerking." And then it left me thinking other things that would spoil the ending to mention here.

The one about the mannequin was so freakishly ambiguous. I could not tell whether Mary was just a mannequin or... something more. That was amazing.

And you know I loved the two gender stories! You freakin' nailed that.

-- 20 Apr 2015, 16:56 --

OH! By the way, I'd keep all the stories together, but maybe add a content rating in the table of contents, or something. No one can complain if they've been duly warned. :-)
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Kappy, I found your review honest and to the point. You mention some great points. I am not sure if I would be interested in a novel with crude and vulgar.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

literarycat wrote:Kappy, I found your review honest and to the point. You mention some great points. I am not sure if I would be interested in a novel with crude and vulgar.
Thanks. Note that it is a collection of short stories, not a novel; most of the stories are excellent. I was especially irritated because the author showed real talent, then inserted extremely crude passages for no reason I could fathom.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Right. I forgot it was a collection. I was at work on break when I replied
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”