Official Review: Storm Damage by Rosalind Coleman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Storm Damage by Rosalind Coleman

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Storm Damage" by Rosalind Coleman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elaine Webster is a successful businesswoman who runs an upscale salon and day spa in the heart of Oklahoma City. She has a beautiful daughter, a loving sister, and a network of supportive friends. But things haven't always been easy for Elaine, and she's weathered her fair share of life storms. As a Christian woman, Elaine gives God the glory for bringing her through the hard times.

In Storm Damage, Elaine is plunged into another life storm in the wake of a literal one: a tornado that rips through the city. With her sister dead and her home destroyed in the aftermath, Elaine has her hands full with rebuilding, caring for her daughter, and trying to provide guidance to her grieving teenaged nephew. Romance soon presents itself in the form of a handsome architect, but just when the storm clouds appear to be lifting, someone from Elaine's past makes a sudden reappearance, and her faith in God is tested to its limit.

To begin, I'm going to risk stating the obvious by pointing out that this book is a work of Christian fiction. As a believer in Christ, I appreciated the book's message of trusting God to get through difficult times. Coleman referenced Scripture in a way that was relevant to the events of the story, and used them in a demonstrative manner to move the plot along.

The overall writing of the book was good. There were some typographical errors, but they were minimal. The strongest aspect of Coleman's writing style lies within the book's dialogue, which flowed naturally and helped me to develop a solid mental image of the characters. I could also tell that Coleman was writing about places that she knew well (areas within Oklahoma City, and the region of Texas that Elaine's family is from), which in my opinion gives her significant credibility.

However, there were places in the book where I felt that the events were moving a little too fast, particularly when the tornado touched down. While there is an element of realism regarding the suddenness of natural disasters, I found myself getting a little confused and having to retrace my steps to ensure that I understood what was unfolding. This also happened in a few others places in the book, and while these instances weren't common, they were a little disruptive.

The plot had many twists, which kept me engaged, but toward the end I began to feel frustrated by all of the mishaps and misunderstandings that kept popping up. I felt that there was a little too much happening to the characters all at once, and by the last thirty pages or so, I just wanted the bad things to stop so Elaine and the other characters could get on with their lives! I did like the ending, but again, I wish that the characters hadn't had to go through so much to get there.

But in conclusion, I feel that Storm Damage was a worthwhile read from a promising author and I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to other Christians, or those who are very spiritually open-minded, as the main theme of the book is about trusting God. If you are not a Christian, or are particularly averse to all things spiritual, then this isn't the book for you.

Storm Damage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a well-written, honest review!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. I particularly like books where the author is familiar with the region he/she is writing about. I like all the little details that only a writer that has lived in the area would know about.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I'm not typically drawn to Christian fiction, but your review makes this book sound very interesting! I'll have to check it out!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a well-written, honest review!
You are welcome, PashaRu! And thank you for the kind words :)

-- 23 Mar 2015, 19:47 --
bookowlie wrote:Great review. I particularly like books where the author is familiar with the region he/she is writing about. I like all the little details that only a writer that has lived in the area would know about.
I enjoy this too, Bookowlie. I especially like it when I've been to the location where the story is taking place--it usually helps me relate better to the characters, plus helps me build a good mental picture of what's going on. Thank you so much for reading my review.

-- 23 Mar 2015, 19:47 --
amybo82 wrote:I'm not typically drawn to Christian fiction, but your review makes this book sound very interesting! I'll have to check it out!
Thank you, Amybo82. I hope that you enjoy it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I do like christian fiction when it's written well. This does sound interesting. I grew up in Texas and it's always fun to read a book with your home state in it. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

I'm pretty much a diehard ChristFic fan and always appreciate hearing about a new author. Love the dramatic cover of this book, too--interesting and looks like it's right on theme. Good review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”