Review: All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
runwright
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runwright.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review: All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner

Post by runwright »

Jennifer Weiner’s book, All Fall Down, is a novel about abuse and addiction. The main character, Allison, has genuine physical pains, the result of a slipped-disc in her back and some dental issues. And the physical relief lulls her into abusing said drugs to ease the emotional and social anxiety she feels from other aspects of her life.
There’s a line in the book that made me stop and think. It's where Allison, is in a group talking about drug abuse and addiction and someone explains that it’s not that the addict doesn’t know that the drugs can kill him. Allison explains. It’s that (s)he {the addict} doesn’t want to live in a world where (s)he has to give up the feeling that the drugs bring.
That's an intense thought and I think this perspective alone makes the book well worth reading.
Good read.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

A friend of mine read and recommended this book to me. I've read a few of Weiner's books and have not enjoyed them (I don't enjoy chick lit). This is an interesting topic and a difficult one to write about without personal experience IMO. Nice review
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”