The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

Post by amybo82 »

Bartholomew Neil has taken care of his mother all his life. Now, approaching 40, what's he to do when his mom passes away? He's a unique fellow, and he doesn't always fit in or feel "normal." Enter a priest who has recently relinquished his vows, a counselor who's in an abusive relationship, a man who is both similar to and opposite to Bartholomew that loves cats and the f-word, and the "Girlbrarian". The sordid cast of characters begin to learn about each other and appreciate the synchronicity of life. The book is written completely in letters, all from Bartholomew, and all to Richard Gere, who becomes his imagined spiritual advisor.

Overall, I thought the story was predictable, but the redeeming factors were the characters. They were rich and well developed. You could picture each one going through everyday life. You really root for Bartholomew, a guy who really sees the world differently from most people. I didn't love it, but it was an ok book. I might recommend it to someone interested in a beach read or an easy story with a happy ending.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”