Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
A P Bullard
Favorite Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: The Marriage Plot
Currently Reading: Anna and the French Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-p-bullard.html
Latest Review: "Reckless Illusions" by Claude Dancourt

Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez

Post by A P Bullard »

I first read this in November of 2011, but it's one of those books that sticks with you. It's also one of those books that you keep coming back to, and still find new things. It's also one of those books that you just really have to share and talk about.

This was such a wonderful little book.

Writing from the perspective of the main character, a twelve-year-old girl, really helped me to become attached to the characters and to better understand the fear, frustration, and confusion that she was feeling. She has to deal with both the mind-blowing, heart-wrenching events that are shattering her world and her emerging adolescence and puberty.

When I finished reading, I had to sit there for a few moments and really absorb everything. The fact that this story was based upon the author's own experiences made this even more intense for me. I really felt for the characters, and felt their pain during their personal/familial tragedies.

As an American citizen, I have always been free to a very large extent. Reading about her struggles and desire for freedom really hit me. It was painful to think of not having the freedoms I do, and it created a feeling of confinement that was nearly physical.

I highly recommend this book.
A. P. Bullard
Latest Review: "Reckless Illusions" by Claude Dancourt

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”