Review: The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LauraBambrey
Favorite Author: Lucy Robinson
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Breath of The Titans by Riley Amos Westb
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabambrey.html
Latest Review: "Empire" by Calvin Jones
fav_author_id: 3167

Review: The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan

Post by LauraBambrey »

This book was the best possible way to kick-start my reading for 2015. Set simultaneously in the summer of 1933 and the late 1800s, The Girl in the Photograph follows the story of Alice Eveleigh who is sent away from her home in London in disgrace, having fallen pregnant by a married man. She is packed off unceremoniously to spend her confinement in the privacy and faded grandeur of Fiercombe Manor.

The story of Alice’s pregnancy soon intertwines with the story of Elizabeth, past lady of the manor – another manor – in the same isolated valley. The eerie similarities between Alice and Elizabeth soon begin to make themselves known, and Alice begins to feel as though her fate is already sealed and set upon a pre-determined, but shrouded path. The secrets of the valley begin to occupy Alice’s every waking moment, consuming her imagination.

The Girl in the Photograph is dense and full of detail, ensuring that the reader slows down, taking their time to read as the absorbing worlds of Alice and Elizabeth come to light. There is very little dialogue throughout the book, adding to the tense, claustrophobic atmosphere created by the author.

There is a serene sense of mounting terror that runs throughout the narrative (and I know that’s a complete oxymoron, but you’ll see what I mean), so much so that reading late at night had me hunkered down in my dim room, checking over my shoulder and listening out for unusual noises in the house – this is definitely not one to read when you’re feeling unsettled.

Although not an easy read as you wait for the taut silken thread that runs through the entire story to snap, I can’t help but recommend this book to everyone. It’s beautifully written, has a fantastic ending and has all the makings of a modern classic.

I'm going to give this 4 out of 4 stars - in my opinion, it's a faultless debut.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the great review! The book sounds very interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LauraBambrey
Favorite Author: Lucy Robinson
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Breath of The Titans by Riley Amos Westb
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabambrey.html
fav_author_id: 3167

Post by LauraBambrey »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks for the great review! The book sounds very interesting.
Thank you! It really was a great novel - certainly one I'll keep on my bookshelves for a re-read over the coming year!
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Thank you for this review. I am going to add this book to my to-read shelf.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”