Serena by Ron Rash

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

How do you rate Serena by Ron Rash

1 star
No votes
2 stars
50%
3 stars
50%
4 stars
No votes

Total votes: 2

melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Serena by Ron Rash

Post by melbuhtoast »

When I first learned that my book club had decided on Serena by Ron Rash for the next month's book club meeting, I was surprised because it wasn't a book that I had heard of before, and yet somehow they were already making it into a movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper! The story is about George and Serena Pemberton and their quest to create a logging empire in North Carolina. Their methods are ruthless and their relationship intense. Throw into the mix an illegitimate child, and you've got all things to create a compelling, exciting drama.

I won't go into detail about what actually happens in the story - I don't want to give anything away - but I really enjoyed this book. Strong female characters really appeal to me, and Serena absolutely fit the bill. She is strong, commands attention, and works to earn the respect of their workers. However what makes Serena really special is that she also comes with a hint of mystery and a dash of danger. In other words, stay on her good side or you're in trouble.

The setting - North Carolina in the late 1920s - was also somewhat unique. The US is teetering on the edge of the Great Depression, yet this book focuses on two people who will do anything to become rich in the timber industry. They're fighting against efforts to create the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The historical elements sprinkled throughout the book like this really captured my interest.

In a lot of ways, I could see this book as a Cohen Brothers movie (if it weren't already being made into a movie) because things just keep going from bad to worse for the Pemberton's. The misery just keeps snowballing the farther along you get, until it reaches the point where it almost gets so ridiculous you have to laugh a little. Without giving it away, I loved how the ending dawns on you at about the same moment it likely dawns on the characters - great stuff!

Overall, if you're looking for a book that is dark and intense, romantic and thrilling, this is the book for you. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. This was my book club's selection last month. I didn't care for the subject matter. I felt the writer could have added a bit more backstory for Serena's character. Then I might have understood her behavior.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html

Post by melbuhtoast »

I think that's completely fair - I also would have enjoyed learning more about Serena and what actually happened before she met Pemberton, but I did like that it added to her mystery. I was able to guess along with the workers - create sad tales, sinister intentions, etc.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

melbuhtoast wrote:I think that's completely fair - I also would have enjoyed learning more about Serena and what actually happened before she met Pemberton, but I did like that it added to her mystery. I was able to guess along with the workers - create sad tales, sinister intentions, etc.
She was definitely a character with sinister intentions :) I always wondered if she set her house on fire and killed her parents.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”