Official Review: The Creatives by Lindsay Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Creatives by Lindsay Lewis

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Creatives" by Lindsay Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With its stunning cover art and shocking opening words, The Creatives is a hilarious “chick lit” novel by new author Lindsay Lewis. Set in modern Los Angeles, Lissy Swanson works as a lowly data entry clerk for a prestigious advertising agency, and she has two simple dreams in life. One: become one of the “Creatives,” the more glamorous and respectable team members who lead the advertisement campaigns. Two: experience ultimate satisfaction in the bedroom. While the latter remains perpetually unachievable, Lissy actually has a chance at becoming a Creative when she wins a product-naming contest and goes on a company holiday to Hawaii.

Unfortunately, life in the “creative” world isn’t as classy as she thought it would be. Lissy still has to deal with her troublesome little sister, her meddling mother, her own unfortunate tendencies to embarrass herself, her best friend’s jealousy, and her potential dream man, all while juggling a new position and a new account with a pharmaceutical company. The Barbie Pill, a new drug that not only prevents skin cancer but also provides its user with gorgeously clear skin, loss of weight, and an increase in libido, sounds like a dream product for Lissy to promote for her first big campaign. However, Lissy quickly discovers the pill’s dark secret, and she is forced to choose between her career or her love life.

From the moment I opened this book, I was sucked into the pages. The opening is extremely attention-grabbing, and I must have sat with my eyes bulging out my head for a good twenty minutes after reading the first few paragraphs. From then on, it was laugh-out-loud hilarious through most of the book, with a few gasps of shock and, “What?!”s of surprises thrown in now and then. Lissy is an excellently developed character, and any scene containing interaction between her and her unique best friend Amir, the gay Muslim, had me chuckling under my breath.

The story is told predominantly through Lissy’s eyes, but every several chapters, a brief side-story appears. The first time this happened, I thought it was some kind of mistake. The humorous story of Lissy and the graphic scene of Abby during childbirth seemed to have nothing to do with one another. However, as the plot progresses, the relationship between these two seemingly unrelated stories slowly unfolds and is then brought together wonderfully by the end of the book. The author did a great job with maintaining my curiosity about this side-story.

While there are a handful of grammatical errors scattered throughout the book, they had little to no effect on my enjoyment of the story. The plot was too enjoyable, the characters were too entertaining, and I was just too enamored with the book in general to even care about such petty details. If I have to say anything negative at all about the story, it’s that Lissy is entirely too nice to her little sister. I would have disowned her a long time ago if I were in Lissy’s shoes.

Because of my overall enjoyment of this story, I gladly give The Creatives a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who finds entertainment in light, humorous chick lit containing well-written characters. I look forward to reading more from Lindsay Lewis; she definitely has a lot of potential as an author.

Buy "The Creatives" on Amazon
Buy "The Creatives" on Barnes and Noble
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Awesome!
The barbie pill...hahahaha!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Great review! *adds to reading list* And Barbie pill! Too funny! I wonder what the dark secret is....
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

This might be the best book I have reviewed for this site. If you're into girly things like this (as I am!). Totally recommend this! Lissy is so hilarious, if I didn't make that clear enough in the review!

-- 30 Dec 2014, 15:52 --

PS. The cover art is even more stunning in color!!! I saw it originally in black and white and thought it was great then! Wow!
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the great review! Any ideas where I can get this pill? :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

ryanj1 wrote:Thanks for the great review! Any ideas where I can get this pill? :D
Psh. I need it way more than you do!!! But... yeah.. it is WAY too good to be true. You don't want it. Trust me!
:handgestures-thumbdown:
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Great review! Well-written, with the usual "ALynn" touch of humor and light-heartedness. While I may not rush to read it (chick lit, you know), I'm glad you enjoyed it and your enthusiasm shines through. :text-bravo:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:Great review! Well-written, with the usual "ALynn" touch of humor and light-heartedness. While I may not rush to read it (chick lit, you know), I'm glad you enjoyed it and your enthusiasm shines through. :text-bravo:
You really think I add my own touch of humor and light-heartedness? Thanks! Big compliment there!

And you really don't think it would be your cup of tea? I thought you were the expert in the romance category? Oh wait, I'm sure this book is not raunchy enough for your tastes. :dance:
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

Great review!! I'm not into chick lit, but I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. :)
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

zoedecicco wrote:Great review!! I'm not into chick lit, but I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. :)
Hey, thanks for the comment! Glad I could help make it sound interesting, though the book really did that on its own (for me, anyway!)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

ALynnPowers wrote:
PashaRu wrote:Great review! Well-written, with the usual "ALynn" touch of humor and light-heartedness. While I may not rush to read it (chick lit, you know), I'm glad you enjoyed it and your enthusiasm shines through. :text-bravo:
You really think I add my own touch of humor and light-heartedness? Thanks! Big compliment there!

And you really don't think it would be your cup of tea? I thought you were the expert in the romance category? Oh wait, I'm sure this book is not raunchy enough for your tastes. :dance:
Hey that's not fair! :hand: You know I hated that book! :eusa-naughty:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote: And you really don't think it would be your cup of tea? I thought you were the expert in the romance category? Oh wait, I'm sure this book is not raunchy enough for your tastes. :dance:
Hey that's not fair! :hand: You know I hated that book! :eusa-naughty:
Then I'm sure you would love this one ;)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds hilarious and inventive....I would use the word creative, but it would not be a creative word to use, on my part. :D I wish the publishing world would come up with a more flattering label than "chick lit" for these types of novels. It makes me think of women eating candy and watching soap operas. I've always felt some really good books didn't get as much appreciation by book critics, once they were given the "chick lit" label.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The book sounds hilarious and inventive....I would use the word creative, but it would not be a creative word to use, on my part. :D I wish the publishing world would come up with a more flattering label than "chick lit" for these types of novels. It makes me think of women eating candy and watching soap operas. I've always felt some really good books didn't get as much appreciation by book critics, once they were given the "chick lit" label.
Hahaha! Creative!

I actually kind of like the word "chick lit" for some reason. It seems to work for just a general book, meant for a female audience that isn't necessarily a romance book and then doesn't fall into any of the major categories like fantasy or mystery or anything. I like to think of them as just normal books about normal ladies. Candy and soap operas optional. 8)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

In recent years, a new genre popped up called "Contemporary Women's Fiction". I guess the category should be considered any book above the category of "chick lit" that's also written by a woman. I'm not sure if "chick lit" also falls under this new umbrella and it's just a more politically correct designation.

If there is now a category called "Women's Fiction", why isn't there "Men's Fiction"? I guess the male authors get to be part of the higher genre of "General Fiction". Getting off my soapbox now.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”