Official Review: In The Sanctity of Revenge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: In The Sanctity of Revenge

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In The Sanctity of Revenge" by Brian Schnoor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Sanctity of Revenge is the story of how a Chicago man’s life falls apart after his employer doesn’t pay him the high commissions he’s earned, and then fires him. Jack Hanlon’s desire for retribution has serious repercussions in his personal life. At the same time, his elderly neighbor Mrs. Kelly is conned out of her life savings by a roofer and also seeks justice.

Jack is a happily married father of three who always played by the rules. He is a salesman for General Systems (GS). After landing a lucrative client, Advanta, Jack starts earning huge commissions due to an incentive in his employee contract. Anticipating a large increase in income, he impulsively withdraws most of the family savings and deposits the money in the Illinois pre-paid tuition fund, for his sons’ education. Unfortunately, the company never pays him any of the commissions. When he sues General Systems for the money he is rightfully due, the VP of Legal Affairs advises the company to walk away from settlement negotiations and fire Jack. As his lawyer continues on with the lawsuit, Jack becomes obsessed with getting justice and his life begins to fall apart. His family life is affected, his stay-at-home wife has to get a job, and he has to work as a used car salesman just to make ends meet.

I really enjoyed this book. The writing is well paced, and I was swept up in both Jack's and Mrs. Kelly’s problems. Although there is an excellent plot, the real strength in this book is the detailed character development and setting descriptions. I felt like I knew every single one of the characters, even the minor players. I not only cared about Jack and Mrs. Kelly, but Jack’s wife Amy. These people could have been my friends or neighbors. The descriptions of their daily lives are vivid and I could picture all of the characters in my head. Chicago comes alive here with a real feel for the local neighborhoods. You feel the icy cold on a winter’s night, the walkability, the historic bungalows, the local shops.

The weaknesses in the book are few. I found the beginning of the book a little hard to follow, from a time standpoint. The first few chapters kept jumping back and forth in time, while at the same time switching between Jack’s and Mrs. Kelly’s storylines. As a result, I became a little confused in the early chapters as to what time period was being referenced. After a few chapters, the time period tended to stay constant and moved forward, so it became easier to settle in to the pacing of the storyline.

There were some grammatical and spelling errors, as well as run-on sentences, throughout the book. There is incorrect word use, such as breath instead of breathe, desert instead of dessert, and passed instead of past. Although I felt this made the writing appear a bit unprofessional, it didn’t distract from the story.
I didn’t care for the ending, and found parts of it a little farfetched. The resolution to Mrs. Kelly’s storyline felt a bit abrupt and I would have liked a little more detail to her story. Still, the book is a real page turner and thought-provoking. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "In The Sanctity of Revenge" on Amazon
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I happen to love stories that are about revenge. Am I crazy? 8)
And it's nice to know that there is excellent character development in this one!
Thanks for the nice review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:I happen to love stories that are about revenge. Am I crazy? 8)
And it's nice to know that there is excellent character development in this one!
Thanks for the nice review!
I highly recommend this book. Whether you like stories about revenge or not, it just has a great storyline and, as I mentioned in my review, well-drawn characters. It's one of those books where you can't stop thinking about the characters after you finish the book. Although I didn't care for the ending, I do want to add that many people may love the ending.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Great review! And yes revenge books are a guilty pleasure to a degree. hehe. You did a great job of explaining the strengths and weaknesses of the book, and I'm definitely adding this to my reading list.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Great review! I also like my share of revenge-related books and that sounds as something I'd like to read one day.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is a book that you won't be able to put down once you start reading. I stayed up way too late to finish reading it :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The cover of the book makes it look like it has something to do with spirituality or something, but I couldn't pick that up from the summary. Am I missing something?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the nice review. I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:The cover of the book makes it look like it has something to do with spirituality or something, but I couldn't pick that up from the summary. Am I missing something?
ALynn, The story does explore morality and the human spirit....basically how people's sense of morality changes when they are pushed to the limits in wanting revenge. The main characters Jack and his neighbor Mrs. Kelly are good people, and their moral compass goes off-kilter. The story makes you think about the overwhelming power of revenge.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

bookowlie wrote:The story does explore morality and the human spirit....basically how people's sense of morality changes when they are pushed to the limits in wanting revenge. The main characters Jack and his neighbor Mrs. Kelly are good people, and their moral compass goes off-kilter....
Excellent review. I find stories such as this much more interesting than stories that feature characters that are clearly defined as "good" or "bad."
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The two main characters are very layered. I found this book very interesting and thought-provoking.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”