Official Review: Miracle Girls: A Novel by MB Caschetta

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Official Review: Miracle Girls: A Novel by MB Caschetta

Post by BookWorm07 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miracle Girls: A Novel" by MB Caschetta.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miracle girls by M.B Caschetta, is a story of Cee-Cee, a ten year old girl from Mohawk Valley, USA; a place that is rife with stories of children disappearing left, right and centre. Only, Cee-Cee is no ordinary girl. She nearly gets kidnapped herself, but is saved in the nick of time by her brothers. After this incident however, she is ‘gifted’ with divine visions showing her the lost or missing girls in the area. The nuns from the local church, her grandma and most of the other residents come to believe Cee-Cee to be a messenger from Jesus and that she is a Miracle Girl.

The summary of the book lead me to believe this might be some sort of mystery novel. Not the case here. The book dwelled more of the psych of the residents of the town rather than the investigating the mysterious disappearances. Every household in this sleepy little village is complicated. Every character in this book, from Cee-Cee’s own family, the nuns, Cee-Cee’s friends, have more layers to their personality than what meets the eye. Somehow, she is embroiled within the affairs of most of the residents of the town and they start to believe she was sent by Jesus himself to save them.

The book starts off at a snail’s pace and the beginning chapters make no sense, but if you hold on a bit longer, all the little bits start to stitch together seamlessly. As more and more of the back story of each character is revealed, more and more of the mystery surrounding the girls clear up.

The author shows us a mirage of the real world within the pages of this book. It is a world where your own family can betray you, but it is also one where a new family can be found in the company of strangers. I can guarantee this book shall stay with you long after you've finished the book.

The writing and the language of the book is not exactly simple, yet complimentary to this plotline. Except for a few head scratching metaphors, the book is flawless with regards to grammar.

Although the book is set in the seventies, its story is still relatable with today's world as it deals with rape, rape culture, homosexuality, etc. Religious connotations are heavy in the novel, but nowhere does the writing turn preachy or forced. It is written as an integral part of the story of Cee-Cee, and her love for the Catholic Church is just a proud proclamation of her belief in faith surviving in a world which turns more and more grim and diabolical with each passing day.

Even if one isn’t religious, I’d like to think this book can still be enjoyable as religion in the book is about accepting people as they are, flaws and all; and showing us that god loves everyone equally no matter our gender, sexuality or background.

I’ve been thinking of who was the best character is in this book, but I am struggling to find one as every character has their own set of shortcomings, no matter how virtuous they are.

All said and done, I'd give this novel a 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a challenging read.

Buy "Miracle Girls: A Novel" on Amazon
Buy "Miracle Girls: A Novel" on Barnes and Noble
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Whaaaaa... this sounds cool. *adds to reading list* I think this one is a must read for me. Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
BookWorm07

Post by BookWorm07 »

Skillian wrote:Whaaaaa... this sounds cool. *adds to reading list* I think this one is a must read for me. Thanks for the review!
Haha, my pleasure. It was great story after all. Hope you like it. :D
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

This looks somewhat like my kind of book. I will add it on my TBR list. Great review!
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
BookWorm07

Post by BookWorm07 »

Himmelslicht wrote:This looks somewhat like my kind of book. I will add it on my TBR list. Great review!
Thank you :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”