Official Review: To The Wind by Ute Carbone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: To The Wind by Ute Carbone

Post by Airam Velarde »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To The Wind" by Ute Carbone.]
Book Cover for 2530
Share This Review

To The Wind is the second novella in the Sweet Lenora Series written by Ute Carbone. Set in pre-Civil War times, this historical romance follows Lenora and Anton Boudreaux as they sail away from their struggles in Rio, and set course to San Francisco on the Sweet Lenora.

Anton and Lenora, now newly married, make sale to San Francisco with only half a crew and a first mate that is despised by everyone on board. After violent encounters with the first mate, Mr. Abercrombie, the crew sets in motion a mutiny that threatens their voyage and tests Captain Anton’s command. However, this will be the least of their problems. The crew soon discovers a silent yet deadly illness that has stowed away on the Sweet Lenora. As Anton and Lenora make it to their destination, their love is now more then ever tested by illness, threats, and their troubling past. Will they once more be able to prevail over their adversaries? Or will the shadow of their past be too much this time?

To The Wind is the second installment in this captivating series of historical romances. I for one, had the pleasure of reading and reviewing the first novella in this series, Sweet Lenora. I can honestly say that the sequel does not disappoint and only made my interest in our protagonists and their exploits grow. The author successfully takes us back in time once more to experience a sailor’s life at sea. We are met with more adventure and historical snippets, that easily capture the reader’s attention. Of course the romance does not wane, as we are shown the honest devotion and mutual admiration Anton and Lenora have developed throughout their voyage.

In contrast to Sweet Lenora, To The Wind is written from Anton’s point of view. I found this change in narrators to be very favorable to the plot. A lot of the questions I had about Anton’s character and about his relationship with Lenora were answered. His thoughts and feelings were there for us to explore as we finally learn more about why he is a dark hero. Subject which I felt the first book only slightly touched. His hard as stone personality surfaced but with it came a softer, more compassionate side that he shows to those close to him. This greatly complements Lenora’s strong willed personality that we were shown more of in the first book. By exploring both of their personalities separately, we learn more about their relationship and in turn meet with more tangible characters.

To The Wind is a novella that I really enjoyed reading. Its sweet and tasteful romance with a pinch of adventure make this series one that I would very much recommend. Lenora and Anton’s introduction in Sweet Lenora interested me, but their development in To The Wind is what has made me want to follow their journey more closely. I am really curious as to what other voyage they set out to next. I give To The Wind 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "To The Wind" on Amazon
Buy "To The Wind" on Barnes and Noble
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Well this sounds like a super guilty pleasure! I may consider sailing into this. hehehe. Thanks for the review! Historical romance... yummy! And a series to boot.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
Airam Velarde
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>

Post by Airam Velarde »

Thanks for your comment! :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ute Carbone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ute Carbone »

Thanks for the review, Airam! I'm so glad you like Anton and Lenora. FYI--there is a third novella available called All Things Returned.
Airam Velarde

Post by Airam Velarde »

Ute Carbone wrote:Thanks for the review, Airam! I'm so glad you like Anton and Lenora. FYI--there is a third novella available called All Things Returned.
Thank you so much for your message! I'm really looking forward to reading your third novella. :)

~Victor Hugo

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”