Official Review: A Month of Bedtime Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Official Review: A Month of Bedtime Stories

Post by Amheiser »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Month of Bedtime Stories" by Neil Roy McFarlane.]
Book Cover for 2489
Share This Review

“A Month of Bedtime Stories”, by Neil Roy McFarlane, is a collection of fictional stories for elementary age children to share with adults and teens. Each story tells a dream-like sequence of events in which the child being read to is the main character in the story. The stories begin with the child being told that an item is missing and needs to be found so the child and the storyteller can fulfill their plans for the day. Then the child says, “I know where to find that”, and off the child goes ‘to the woods’ where the child has many dream-like adventures in the search for the missing item. After the adventures, the child returns home with the item, but without any memory of how the item was found because of something that happened during the adventure that made the child lose all memory of the adventures that supposedly happened that day.

This collection of stories is told in a way that makes the stories interesting for both the child and the person who is reading the story with the child. For the child, there are whimsical phrases and words that a child would find humorous and interesting. For an older person, there are references to objects or events that most likely only the storyteller, who is older, would know about and relate to which makes the stories more interesting for them. There are also things that happen in the stories that can stimulate conversations about where things come from and how things work that an older person could explain to a child. Also, the stories are told with a touch of humor that both the child and the storyteller can enjoy, but on different levels.

This book is very well-written and all the stories are fast-paced and interesting. There are many adventures that include things that a child and an adult can relate to and that can stimulate conversations between the storyteller and the child so the child can learn about various things. The stories are nonsensical, the way dreams can be, and there are plays on words and events told in such a way that make the stories quite enjoyable.

There are some things referred to in these stories that people from Australia can maybe relate to more easily and might need to be explained to someone not familiar with these things, but that creates opportunities for learning experiences also. For example, money is referred to in pounds rather than dollars, and some of the phrases used are more the way a person from Australia or England would say them.

There was just one instance where a wrong word was used. ‘There’ was used once when it should have been ‘their’, but that was the only structural mistake I found in these stories. The only question I have, that a child might have as well, is how does the older person know about the adventures if the child who had the adventure has no memory of them?

I would recommend this book of bedtime stories for children perhaps toddler age and up. I would encourage dialogue between the storyteller and the child though, especially in instances where the content of the stories might be a little mature or questionable for a younger child. In one instance, the story talks about a rabbit threatening to skin a child in retaliation for the child hunting the rabbit. A very young child might be disturbed by this even though this is a completely fictitious event that could only happen in a dream. The rabbit is a talking rabbit so the child should understand that the event isn’t real, but it would be good if there could be a discussion about things like that.

The book is written in simple enough language so an older child would be able to read the book to an adult or teenager, but the book should definitely be shared with an older person because then where there is more mature content, there can be a discussion about those things. In some instances, there are things mentioned in the book that probably only a person older than a child would know about. These things would be something that an older person could relate to and understand the humor of, but maybe the child wouldn’t. In one story, the characters are having a discussion about atmosphere and how there is more oxygen and atmosphere at the tops of trees, and how there is even more atmosphere at a bar on the other side of the moon. An older reader could relate to the atmosphere in a bar and understand the humor of the reference, but a younger person might not understand the different uses of the word ‘atmosphere’. It would be good for a child and the storyteller to have a discussion about how things in dreams can be weird and not like real life, as well as how words can be used differently.

I would rate this book as 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well-written, with a sense of humor that both a child and an older storyteller can relate to. There are references to things that would keep an adult interested, yet told in such a way that makes it fun and interesting for a child. I like this book of bedtime stories because it is a whimsical approach to bedtime, as well as an opportunity for the child to learn.

Buy "A Month of Bedtime Stories" on Amazon
Buy "A Month of Bedtime Stories" on Barnes and Noble
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

This sounds like a fun book for kids! I like that it's a collection of short bedtime stories (rather than long bedtime stories that take a couple of nights to get through). It also sounds like there's something in it for everyone, which is always a bonus.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Great review! I think I'd like the Aussie lingo. Since I'm American, I can picture myself reading the stories to my children in a (terrible) accent, and that sounds like fun.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
Amheiser

Post by Amheiser »

Thank you for your positive review comments. I also liked that the stories were all short enough to be read in one night and what I really liked was that they all had a consistent theme to them which I think children like.
I think it would be fun to read these stories using an Ausie accent too. Australians have such a unique accent.
What I especially liked about all the stories was that they could be interesting for adults too. Some children's books are fun for kids but not so much for adults.
chumblefish
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chumblefish »

Thank you Amheiser for your positive review and thanks everyone for talking about my book. I'm very honoured.

Best wishes

Neil
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! The book seems like an interesting and varied collection of stories. The Australian lingo is a great addition, and could create a fun learning experience for children (and adults, too!).
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
katryan
Currently Reading: The Miniaturist
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katryan.html

Post by katryan »

LOVED this review. Thanks for all of your time putting it together. Sounds perfect for my daughters, who love me to read to them every night
Amheiser

Post by Amheiser »

I'm happy all of you appreciated this review. I think these reviews are a good way to find out about books that you think children might be interested in. Thank you for commenting on my review, chumblefish. I hope we will see more of your books in the future.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like a very creative book. Perhaps when my daughter is a little older...
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The artwork on the cover is sure to appeal to younger readers!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”