Official Review: Tear Stained Beaches by Courtney Giardina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Tear Stained Beaches by Courtney Giardina

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tear Stained Beaches" by Courtney Giardina.]
Book Cover for 996
Share This Review

Tear Stained Beaches is the story of a woman that discovers her husband is cheating and how she copes with her heartbreak. Haylie Julian becomes suspicious of her husband Chase when he starts spending a lot of time away from home with late nights at the office, drinks with the guys, and frequent business trips. When he comes home one night after midnight with the scent of a woman’s perfume on him, Haylie begins to snoop around and discovers evidence that he is cheating on her. Much of the story focuses on her self-analysis of her emotions and reactions to this discovery.

In the aftermath of her discovery, Haylie gets away to a beach town and becomes friends with Meghan, a local teacher who works as a waitress in the summer. Haylie pours her heart out to her new friend and they form a close bond during the time Haylie is staying there. The book is a quick read, although I did find most of the plot to be very predictable. I guessed a few things early on in the story. I still found the book hard to put down. Haylie’s character was well-drawn and her feelings about her marital problems are detailed and realistic. Some of her reactions are a bit over the top, such as throwing a glass wedding picture and wedding album across the room. Her new friendship with Meghan feels genuine, and Meghan is a believable character. On the other hand, Chase’s character is fairly one-dimensional and most of his conversations fall flat.

Although Tear Stained Beaches is an enjoyable read, I did feel that the author wrote Haylie’s character as too overly emotional and full of self-pity. I find like I was reading the story of a teenager who had her heart broken, rather than a 28-year old woman. Most of the book involves Haylie describing every single feeling she has and every second of her life after finding evidence of her husband’s infidelity. At times, it reads like a person telling a detective or therapist every step of their actions and feelings from an event and its aftermath. Some of her actions are too overdramatic, such as immediately taking a leave of absence from her job. If she is considering leaving her husband, then she should have kept working since she would have had to support herself in the event of a divorce.

I found Haylie’s character relatable with regard to her disappointment in the decline of her marriage, even before Chase’s infidelity comes to light. She has flashbacks to their fun first meeting, romantic courtship and early days of their marriage. When her husband becomes detached and preoccupied with work, you can relate to her loneliness and feelings that her marriage is not as perfect as she thought. Her suspicions and insecurities feel very real.

There are several errors in this book that make the writing seem a bit unprofessional, such as “peaking” in the kitchen (should be peeking), in-to (should be into), and suit case (should be one word), to name a few. Even the words “tear stained” in the title should be hyphenated; I found the error in the title particularly annoying. Still, the book is an enjoyable light read. Rating: 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Tear Stained Beaches" on Amazon
Buy "Tear Stained Beaches" on Barnes and Noble
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thank you for the lovely review! I remember reading this before, but I didn't have a chance to comment. I wanted to say that the story sounds very interesting! I noticed the title thing as well and worried about the quality of the book, but if you were still able to give it 3 stars, then it might be worth adding to my reading list.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:Thank you for the lovely review! I remember reading this before, but I didn't have a chance to comment. I wanted to say that the story sounds very interesting! I noticed the title thing as well and worried about the quality of the book, but if you were still able to give it 3 stars, then it might be worth adding to my reading list.
Thanks. The book was a page turner, so that always counts for a higher rating in my book :)
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Thanks for the review! I think I might pass though. I just... I don't know if I could handle the whole snooping to find a cheater and overly emotional thing. Not because it sounds bad... but because I don't think I could handle it. haha. It sounds too much like the things I hear every time I talk to one of my girlfriends. I partially blame technology. It has people so paranoid and feeds way too much into their insecurities. I mean... everything seems fine then next thing I know I'm getting a teary eyed phone call about some guy not liking a new profile picture. Or... 'I know he READ the text already... it says so.. but he didn't respond!" *sigh*
I love LOVE. <3
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Skillian wrote:Thanks for the review! I think I might pass though. I just... I don't know if I could handle the whole snooping to find a cheater and overly emotional thing. Not because it sounds bad... but because I don't think I could handle it. haha. It sounds too much like the things I hear every time I talk to one of my girlfriends. I partially blame technology. It has people so paranoid and feeds way too much into their insecurities. I mean... everything seems fine then next thing I know I'm getting a teary eyed phone call about some guy not liking a new profile picture. Or... 'I know he READ the text already... it says so.. but he didn't respond!" *sigh*
You make a good point! I am totally like that as well! Even with this site! If I send someone a PM, I can see if they have opened it. So if they have opened it but not written back, I think they hate me. Because of this, I can kind of understand the character in this book being overly emotional. I am so the same way for the strangest reasons. I would throw a glass picture frame across a room in a heartbeat if I felt like it. :lol:
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

haha! See I am an easily distracted type. So I always tell myself that maybe the other person is too. For instance... if I am driving... and I am at a red light... I might read a text really fast (I know.. for shame)... then put it back down thinking I will reply when I am done driving. Then I forget. Sometimes I will even swear I replied... but really I only thought about what I would say back. OR like... this is probably TMI... but I don't like to text people while erm... using the restroom. But sometimes if a text pops up I will read it... but then like it would be rude to respond while in such a state! Not that anyone would find out... but still! Its the principle! And then.. the same thing... I forget to actually text them back... or like half awake phone checking... same thing. So... if random stuff prevents me for responding... maybe random stuff prevents them. And its totally nothing to do with me. hahaha
I love LOVE. <3
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Not to change the topic ( :text-threadjacked: ) but this is kind of related.
I was just thinking about this book and the emotional elements involved. I wonder how much of it is based on the author's own experience :shock:
That would be interesting to find out. Or maybe embarrassing for the author, I wonder?
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

Interesting! And very possible. Then I would hope they feel comforted in reading our comments of relating to such things!
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:Not to change the topic ( :text-threadjacked: ) but this is kind of related.
I was just thinking about this book and the emotional elements involved. I wonder how much of it is based on the author's own experience :shock:
That would be interesting to find out. Or maybe embarrassing for the author, I wonder?
When I read the book, I wondered the same thing. Some passages read like the main character is telling a therapist or best friend the details of what happened. It did feel like this really happened to either the author or someone close to her. Either the book was semi-autobiographical or just the mark of a good storyline :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”