November Book of the Month

Welcome

  • Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Fine Machinery

Post Number:#46  Postby Maud Fitch » 30 Mar 2011, 02:17

The older I get, the more I realise that my body does not need any added extras. Happy, sad, good, bad, it is a miraculous apparatus equipped to handle the rigors of life. Most drugs, sometimes even caffeine, eventually impair its functions. Illness notwithstanding, I believe the less we hinder its operation the better.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
User avatar
Maud Fitch
 
Posts: 2735
Joined: 28 Feb 2011, 23:05
Location: Queensland Australia
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47  Postby AllAfricanBooks » 11 Apr 2011, 09:21

I don't think drugs should be legalized under any pretext.
AllAfricanBooks
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 02:16

Post Number:#48  Postby Tip the Bottle » 02 May 2011, 09:54

AllAfricanBooks wrote:I don't think drugs should be legalized under any pretext.


What about anti-depressants or painkillers? People abuse them more because they are told by doctors it's okay to use them and they do more unnatural damage than a earth born plant ever could.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
User avatar
Tip the Bottle
 
Posts: 879
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:06
Location: Edison, New Jersey

Post Number:#49  Postby Denysaputra » 08 May 2011, 07:30

I think it still "danger"
Denysaputra
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 07 May 2011, 09:22
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Post Number:#50  Postby Euphoriameantime » 10 May 2011, 19:05

Certain drugs should be legalized. Tobacco is the most addictive drug out there, 1% more than meth. It causes cancer. It's legal. Pot is not physically addictive can be eaten instead of smoked and it's illegal. No one else thinks that's wrong?

Oh, well. Come to Canada. It's legal to have 2 grams as long as it's in one bag. Of course it's still illegal to buy, sell or grow. Weird? Yes. People smoke out in public with out a second thought.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver. :D
User avatar
Euphoriameantime
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 18 Apr 2011, 19:54
Location: Toronto

Post Number:#51  Postby Envy » 14 May 2011, 02:52

Adults should be able to make their own decisions, no matter how badly it may impact he, or she. It's only when their actions extend to the 3rd party that issues arise. Drugs, however, do not extend that far. Family issues don't count. Yes, Drugs should be legal.
User avatar
Envy
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 May 2011, 01:59

Post Number:#52  Postby TheMadHatter » 17 May 2011, 19:59

Yes, especially marijuana. It is valuable medically and seems to be in high demand. Plus I don't think the government should dictate what people are allowed to put in their own bodies.
TheMadHatter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 May 2011, 17:16

Post Number:#53  Postby Fran » 18 May 2011, 06:10

TheMadHatter wrote:Yes, especially marijuana. It is valuable medically and seems to be in high demand. Plus I don't think the government should dictate what people are allowed to put in their own bodies.


I would agee with you but with the caveat that I don't see why the state should pay for medical treatment for people who repeatedly & willingly abuse their physical or mental health.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." Buddha
User avatar
Fran
Moderator
 
Posts: 23269
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:46
Location: Ireland
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina

Post Number:#54  Postby Euphoriameantime » 18 May 2011, 08:43

Fran wrote:
TheMadHatter wrote:Yes, especially marijuana. It is valuable medically and seems to be in high demand. Plus I don't think the government should dictate what people are allowed to put in their own bodies.


I would agee with you but with the caveat that I don't see why the state should pay for medical treatment for people who repeatedly & willingly abuse their physical or mental health.


I don't think all drugs should be legalized. But Marijuana, LSD (not synthetic), and mushrooms.... These are three natural occuring drugs that are considered non-addictive. There is absolutely no risk for physical dependency.

I also don't think it's right that tobacco is legal. Cigarettes are the most addictive substance in the world at 99%. The only other drug that comes close is methamphetamine at 98% So, why is the most addictive drug legal. and the least addictive drug illegal? Does that really sound like the governments acting in our best interest or simply following the money.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver. :D
User avatar
Euphoriameantime
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 18 Apr 2011, 19:54
Location: Toronto

Post Number:#55  Postby Fran » 18 May 2011, 10:10

Euphoriameantime wrote:
Fran wrote:
TheMadHatter wrote:Yes, especially marijuana. It is valuable medically and seems to be in high demand. Plus I don't think the government should dictate what people are allowed to put in their own bodies.


I would agee with you but with the caveat that I don't see why the state should pay for medical treatment for people who repeatedly & willingly abuse their physical or mental health.


I don't think all drugs should be legalized. But Marijuana, LSD (not synthetic), and mushrooms.... These are three natural occuring drugs that are considered non-addictive. There is absolutely no risk for physical dependency.
I also don't think it's right that tobacco is legal. Cigarettes are the most addictive substance in the world at 99%. The only other drug that comes close is methamphetamine at 98% So, why is the most addictive drug legal. and the least addictive drug illegal? Does that really sound like the governments acting in our best interest or simply following the money.


I'm no expert but somehow I don't think you are correct there ... there are huge psychological risks whatever about physical risk and mental illnessess treatments are hugely expensive.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." Buddha
User avatar
Fran
Moderator
 
Posts: 23269
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:46
Location: Ireland
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina

Post Number:#56  Postby J.Alfred Prufrock » 18 May 2011, 11:11

Fran wrote:
Euphoriameantime wrote:
Fran wrote:
TheMadHatter wrote:Yes, especially marijuana. It is valuable medically and seems to be in high demand. Plus I don't think the government should dictate what people are allowed to put in their own bodies.


I would agee with you but with the caveat that I don't see why the state should pay for medical treatment for people who repeatedly & willingly abuse their physical or mental health.


I don't think all drugs should be legalized. But Marijuana, LSD (not synthetic), and mushrooms.... These are three natural occuring drugs that are considered non-addictive. There is absolutely no risk for physical dependency.
I also don't think it's right that tobacco is legal. Cigarettes are the most addictive substance in the world at 99%. The only other drug that comes close is methamphetamine at 98% So, why is the most addictive drug legal. and the least addictive drug illegal? Does that really sound like the governments acting in our best interest or simply following the money.


I'm no expert but somehow I don't think you are correct there ... there are huge psychological risks whatever about physical risk and mental illnessess treatments are hugely expensive.


He's not saying that there isn't a risk for psychological issues, which there is. Psychedelics can bring about issues such as depression, bipolar-ism, and schizophrenia. But be sure to make this distinction: drugs do not create these disorders, they were always with the person, drugs just bring them about. You know the saying how you figure out who you truly are on drugs? Well, it can be a bad thing, too.

What he IS saying is that there is no chance for physical dependency, which is right. Your body cannot crave these kinds of drugs, it's simply not possible. Of course, you do see people that ARE addicted to these drugs, but they are mentally addicted to it, and if you think about it, you can be addicted to anything. I sometimes catch a show called "Strange addictions" where people are addicted to really odd things, such as eating toilet paper. But that doesn't mean we should make toilet paper illegal.

But he didn't consider (or at least in that post) that the argument isn't just about addiction, it's about the effects. Society has skewed the effects of psychedelics to suggest that you go crazy under the influence of them. For anyone who has actually done them (like myself), you'd know that this is far from the truth. But the concern still stands: you don't want someone showing up to work and everyone's faces are melting.

With all this said, I support the legalization of all drugs. People should be able to make their own decisions.
J.Alfred Prufrock
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 May 2011, 09:32

Post Number:#57  Postby Euphoriameantime » 18 May 2011, 11:13

physical dependency is different from emotional dependency... Video games and gambling are examples of emotional dependencies. Natural LSD, (most of the lsd is synthetic) has very little risk for psychological problems for the typical user. Mushrooms are much the same way.. There has been a study done where those who are at risk for certain mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, who smoke pot tend to have a higher risk of actually having it. However, it's not clear if marijuana actually has any part of it since schizophrenics tend to be more likely to have drug related problems than the average person.

I do understand what you're saying about the govenment paying for treatments...but they are already whether or not the drugs are legal. And if governments would practice full cost pricing on the drugs they do legalize than the user, or rather the collective of users, is paying for their own health care rather than the government. Full cost pricing is a way of calculating the total price of a product. For example if you buy a pack of cigarettes you are simply purchasing the tobacco and paying for the companies expenses. But that's not the true cost. Cigarettes cause a lot of health problems, like cancer, COPD emphysema, bronchitus. You can calculate the average costs of these problems due to smokers and raise the price accordingly.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver. :D
User avatar
Euphoriameantime
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 18 Apr 2011, 19:54
Location: Toronto

Post Number:#58  Postby patrickt » 20 May 2011, 21:09

Is there any place safe from the proselytizing of the faithful?
patrickt
 
Posts: 142
Joined: 31 Jul 2010, 08:56
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico

Post Number:#59  Postby Fran » 21 May 2011, 05:01

patrickt wrote:Is there any place safe from the proselytizing of the faithful?


Pithy & succinct :D
"The trouble is, you think you have time." Buddha
User avatar
Fran
Moderator
 
Posts: 23269
Joined: 10 Aug 2009, 12:46
Location: Ireland
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina

Post Number:#60  Postby Buttons » 14 Jun 2011, 09:32

Personally, and in my humble opinion, I would hate to see drugs being made legal. I am not one to watch a bunch of stoned people walking around glassy eyed in slow motion like zombies and trying to get an answer out of them as well.......Furthermore what about children they will be mindless by the time they reach adulthood. :roll:
Imagine if you were a teacher and your students came to class every day high~~how can you teach them, what will they learn? What type of future would they have?
No, I do not think drugs of any type shoud be legalized, our world is sad enough the way it is, why make it worse?
Buttons
 

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Navigation

Return Home » Off-Topic » Community & Off-Topic